New office custom peninsula 185 gallon build thread

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your office rocks it. Not just the tank, but everything. Going to the dentist SUX, but if I walked into an office like yours, I would feel at ease. It's so clear that you are trying to make your patients comfortable and that seriously means a lot.

I totally agree!

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a fellow dentist and reefkeeper i am extremely jealous. what do you think the tank and fishroom added to your total build costs. beautiful design by the way. you've incorporated a lot of what i did many years ago when we built my 6 chair office. thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your office rocks it. Not just the tank, but everything. Going to the dentist SUX, but if I walked into an office like yours, I would feel at ease. It's so clear that you are trying to make your patients comfortable and that seriously means a lot.
Thank you! We really love our patients. They are the reason we are in business!
I totally agree!
Thank you Rev! I'm totally jealous of what you have going on too!

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a fellow dentist and reefkeeper i am extremely jealous. what do you think the tank and fishroom added to your total build costs. beautiful design by the way. you've incorporated a lot of what i did many years ago when we built my 6 chair office. thanks for sharing.
Thank you! The total cost added to the build out is approx $20k including all the equipment. I know that seems like a lot but it adds up very quickly. With the fish room and all the equipment, I will be saving approx $1500/year in maintenance costs by doing it myself.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to be your patient! HA!

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup is one of the best, thanks for sharing ! ! !
Thank you! I was inspired by many of the setups I have seen here on R2R, which is such a great place to learn more about our hobby and help one another.
I would love to be your patient! HA!
Thank you Rev! I would love to see your build in person too! Haha!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw all the updates, Question: do you leave the RO/DI on all the time? I found that I burn through resin a lot faster with leaving the filter on all the time. It could also be that with all the new construction, some of the line were dirty and this also contributed to the resin depleting faster?

RichCalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank is a piece of art; and your office looks amazing! Can't wait for you to bring the corals back to it, by the way how is your ick problem?

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw all the updates, Question: do you leave the RO/DI on all the time? I found that I burn through resin a lot faster with leaving the filter on all the time. It could also be that with all the new construction, some of the line were dirty and this also contributed to the resin depleting faster?
No, actually I turn it off once my RODI container is full. I have only made approx. 100 gallons of RODI and have burnt thru 100 percent of my 1st DI chamber. I just received my CO2 and Chloramine test kit so I will be testing soon to see if contaminated water is a contributing factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank is a piece of art; and your office looks amazing! Can't wait for you to bring the corals back to it, by the way how is your ick problem?
Thank you! My Powder blue still has ick but is eating well. All the other fish appear healthy. I am feeding medicated caviar, pellets, Mysis and Nori to give him the best possible chance of fighting it off.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My Powder blue still has ick but is eating well. All the other fish appear healthy. I am feeding medicated caviar, pellets, Mysis and Nori to give him the best possible chance of fighting it off.

I've been thinking a lot about feeding fish eggs. What kind of caviar are you feeding is it cost effective? Where are you sourcing it? Haw are you medicating it? Your system certainly has come a long way. Great job your office is gorgeous! Tank ain't bad either lol[emoji6].

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, actually I turn it off once my RODI container is full. I have only made approx. 100 gallons of RODI and have burnt thru 100 percent of my 1st DI chamber. I just received my CO2 and Chloramine test kit so I will be testing soon to see if contaminated water is a contributing factor.

I caught all that in the past posts, is there a water softener attached to the building. I have read that members with well water and very hard water burn through DI rapidly. I am thinking that you get a everpure filter link as a pre filter, then RO/DI. We use one of our drink water and I am thinking about adding another one for my RO/DI for the same reason. We have hard and terrible tasting water here, and the smaller filter lasts us for about a year with drinking water, wifes coffee, and ice machine for $50. the larger one with what you are doing should last a year for $80.

RichCalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, have the same problem in my aquarium, after introducing new corals my Powder Brown got ick. I have other tang fish but he is the only one with ick. He is eating great, I am feeding him medicated caviar, pellets, flakes, Brine, Mysis and Nori; also giving the fish Masstick with Selcon and Metroplex; he is doing good and eating a lot but still showing ick. I am medicating the tank with reef safe Ick Attack from Kardon and Medic from PolyLabs.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking a lot about feeding fish eggs. What kind of caviar are you feeding is it cost effective? Where are you sourcing it? Haw are you medicating it? Your system certainly has come a long way. Great job your office is gorgeous! Tank ain't bad either lol[emoji6].
Thank you! I have been feeding Dr. G's anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial caviar from BRS.

Dr. G's.jpg

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught all that in the past posts, is there a water softener attached to the building. I have read that members with well water and very hard water burn through DI rapidly. I am thinking that you get a everpure filter link as a pre filter, then RO/DI. We use one of our drink water and I am thinking about adding another one for my RO/DI for the same reason. We have hard and terrible tasting water here, and the smaller filter lasts us for about a year with drinking water, wifes coffee, and ice machine for $50. the larger one with what you are doing should last a year for $80.
Thanks! That is a great idea! I will have to look into that. No but at home I have a water softener which may explain why I'm not burning thru my DI there as fast, even though its the same MUD district.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back