OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone Healthy?
Unfortunately I lost my Blue throat trigger and Pink tail fairy wrasse and Long nose hawk while doing hypo. All the other fish appear to be ick free and I have already started to raise my salinity. Thanks for asking!

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through your build thread, simply fantastic! The updates and the progression were great to see.

Your tank, equipment, micro fish room and attention to detail is amazing. Well done!

A few questions: where do you keep the skimmer overflow? Do you have a float switch on it to turn off the skimmer when full?
How do you fill your RODI top up resivour? I know you mentioned solinoid but is that the only mechanism? Do you also use a float connected to the apex? What about a mechanical float?

Again, amazing build! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I am using a Reef Octopus 6" Waste Collector with Auto Shut Off to collect the skimmate. I manually fill my 10 gallon RODI top off container with a hose than runs from my 40 gallon RODI container. It takes only a minute to top it off twice a week. The only mechanical float is the one in my 40 gallon RODI container.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I lost my Blue throat trigger and Pink tail fairy wrasse and Long nose hawk while doing hypo. All the other fish appear to be ick free and I have already started to raise my salinity. Thanks for asking!
Sorry to here that, Poly Labs has a in tank ich treatment that I am going to try out. I will let you know how it works when I get an out break.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another preventive measure that I do is feed Metroplex and Seacheme focus to bind the meds to my food when I get new additions for about a week. I also feed with the meds and frozen in the below picture and have been pretty fortunate even when I have ich outbreaks;)
IMG_3256.JPG

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another preventive measure that I do is feed Metroplex and Seacheme focus to bind the meds to my food when I get new additions for about a week. I also feed with the meds and frozen in the below picture and have been pretty fortunate even when I have ich outbreaks;)
IMG_3256.JPG
Thanks! You had mentioned this previously but I never tried it. So far no signs of ick since slowly raising my salinity.
Amazing engineering work. It looks great. How can I replace if necessary T5 lamps? I can not see how to do it?
Thanks! The light fixture needs to be removed from the canopy to change the T-5's but it is not difficult.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to setting up a 40 gallon breeder to be used as a QT tank for all my corals and invertebrates. This will be a fish-less system and I will QT any additional fish I will be adding in a separate system. The pics below shows the 11 coral that survived the emergency transfer from my system to my brother-in-laws. I will be replacing lost frags mostly from my home tank and from my brother-in-laws tank. I will keep corals in QT for 1 month to ensure they are parasite free.

IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one tank, and now there is two;)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction! There was two tanks and now there is three. I have had as many as four at one time. Too much work!
Ah you mad man:D

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my clean-up crew. I will be keep them in QT for a month while feeding before putting in DT.

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Astraea Turbo Snail
Nassarius Snail
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
Mexican Turbo Snail
Cerith Snail
Peppermint Shrimp
Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Porcelain Crab
Banded Coral Shrimp
Brittle Sea Star
Fighting Conch
Serpent Sea Star

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best of luck man!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told that CUC doesn't carry disease so doesn't need quarantine, is this true?

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told that CUC doesn't carry disease so doesn't need quarantine, is this, true?
That's what I have always thought until I had an ick breakout after adding CUC to my DT. Honestly, I don't really know the truth but decided to QT everything and not take anymore chances.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is beat it to death, but I always drop my medicated mix it when I add new fish just to error on caution. My next out break I am going to try the Polyp lab medic. Supposed to be a in system treatment for ich;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back