New tank cycle - nitrites

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey folks - I am a newbie. I've been cycling my tank for three months now. My ammonia is under control but my nitrite spike never dropped. It's a 66 gal tank with large sump. I am using dry rock and sand. My ammonia drops to zero but nitrites have been 5+ for a month, and my nitrates are around 20 ppm. How come the nitrite level never dropped and how do I get it to do so? There is no live stock in the tank. Help is appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.

Did you do anything to add bacteria? You might consider getting some rock or mud from another reefer, or using a commercial bacteria product.

That said, nitrite is not very toxic in seawater (it is similar to nitrate, unlike they way nitrite is toxic in freshwater), so it isn't necessarily a problem. :)

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go buy some live bacteria, maybe a piece of live rock. It sounds wrong that nitrite isn't as bad in seawater is that speaking with fish in tank or no fish?

OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.

Did you do anything to add bacteria? You might consider getting some rock or mud from another reefer, or using a commercial bacteria product.

That said, nitrite is not very toxic in seawater (it is similar to nitrate, unlike they way nitrite is toxic in freshwater), so it isn't necessarily a problem. :)
Thanks - I've used both Sea Chem and Fluval bacteria in the cycle. Interestingly, the sea Chem must have been dead as I didn't get any response (no nitrites or drop in ammonia). Once I put the Fluval in, I got the nitrite spike and reduction in ammonia. Maybe I'll put some bacteria in and see what happens.

OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go buy some live bacteria, maybe a piece of live rock. It sounds wrong that nitrite isn't as bad in seawater is that speaking with fish in tank or no fish?
Thanks - I read that too but I'd feel more comfortable with lower or no readings. No fish yet. Maybe I'll try some live rock.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish or not, nitrite is not very toxic in seawater. To kill a fish takes a huge dose, like hundreds to thousands of ppm nitrite in many cases, unlike freshwater. :)

But I agree that having it lower is a good plan, we do not have nitrite tox data for most of the inverts that we keep in reef tanks. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish or not, nitrite is not very toxic in seawater. To kill a fish takes a huge dose, like hundreds to thousands of ppm nitrite in many cases, unlike freshwater. :)

But I agree that having it lower is a good plan, we do not have nitrite tox data for most of the inverts that we keep in reef tanks. :)
Thanks, Randy. I read your article on nitrites - really impressive. I should definitely be below 50 ppm (it's probably less than 10). I'd like to get some fish soon - my wife is beginning to think I'm crazy with the amount of time it's taking. Do you think I should try a water change to lower the nitrite? I think the nitrates are good at 20 ppm.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I had my spike in nitrites, I shouldn't have had to worry so much as well as use prime as a precaution for my fish?

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. I read your article on nitrites - really impressive. I should definitely be below 50 ppm (it's probably less than 10). I'd like to get some fish soon - my wife is beginning to think I'm crazy with the amount of time it's taking. Do you think I should try a water change to lower the nitrite? I think the nitrates are good at 20 ppm.
You said dry rock and sand. So not live sand? Did you cure the rock first? What type of rock are you using? If you are not using live sand and your rock is dead dry rock you are starting from scratch. I used pukani rock that cured for six weeks (4 weeks usually works but I wasn't ready to put of in the tank yet)and live sand and it cycled in four weeks three days. If your starting from scratch it'll most likely take longer but it will cycle. You really can't stop it unless your trying[emoji6] jmo gl

Euphylliafamily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading this nitrites article, here's my set up:
5 weeks yesterday
25g
Nutri sea water
Live sand
Life rock (not live rock)
10 hermit crabs
7 zoa frags
No fish

Did first water change of the tank Friday 10gallons
Nitrites reading .1-.15 still
Using Red Sea test kit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. :)

Just to be safe, I'd get some bacteria or a rock or mud from someone to get the ball rolling. Bear in mind that once you add a fish, nitrite might start piling up even faster, but I still think it would be OK. I might not get your most expensive planned fish first, however. :D

OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said dry rock and sand. So not live sand? Did you cure the rock first? What type of rock are you using? If you are not using live sand and your rock is dead dry rock you are starting from scratch. I used pukani rock that cured for six weeks (4 weeks usually works but I wasn't ready to put of in the tank yet)and live sand and it cycled in four weeks three days. If your starting from scratch it'll most likely take longer but it will cycle. You really can't stop it unless your trying[emoji6] jmo gl
Thanks Lonny. Yes, sand and rock are dead/dry. I just rinsed the rock and sand before putting in the tank. I ordered the rock from the Florida keys. I forgot the name but I'll look it up. Pretty rock and sand.

OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. :)

Just to be safe, I'd get some bacteria or a rock or mud from someone to get the ball rolling. Bear in mind that once you add a fish, nitrite might start piling up even faster, but I still think it would be OK. I might not get your most expensive planned fish first, however. :D
Thanks Randy. Maybe I am being too cautious - I've been hesitant to add any live rock in fear of hitch hikers, and I don't really trust the local pet store supply. I'll drop some bacteria in, check levels and see what happens.

Euphylliafamily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading this nitrites article, here's my set up:
5 weeks yesterday
25g
Nutri sea water
Live sand
Life rock (not live rock)
10 hermit crabs
7 zoa frags
No fish

Did first water change of the tank Friday 10gallons
Nitrites reading .1-.15 still
Using Red Sea test kit
Off of my readings as well I have been dosing seachem "seed" to help with bacteria

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lonny. Yes, sand and rock are dead/dry. I just rinsed the rock and sand before putting in the tank. I ordered the rock from the Florida keys. I forgot the name but I'll look it up. Pretty rock and sand.
You'll be fine[emoji106] if the ammonia is zero put a fish in if you want. I did and my clowns are fat and happy as we speak! If it helps the longest part of the cycle for me was waiting for nitrites to hit zero. They stayed the same for what felt like an eternity! Then when they started to finally move just took a few days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back