New tank cycling

Derek Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not new to the hobby, but I've been out of the game for awhile. I want to set up a nano tank using my old rock. Its not live anymore and been sitting in a bucket dry for a few months. What I would like to know is if I can cycle my new tank with this rock or should I give it an acid bath first? I will not be running a skimmer on this tank so any "cycle quick" kits are not an option for me.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the rock, but if you have the time and patience the best option is to acid wash it. Was the rock covered in algae, did phosphate values run chronically high in the previous set up. I have done it both ways, can't say it made a difference either way except the acid wash rock was back to the stark white and any detritus, or left over algae and coralline removed.

OP
OP
Derek Kennedy

Derek Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nuisance algae on the old rock. I bought a new house and had other obligations so the tank was taken down. I'm trying to get away without the acid bath. I have done the acid before, but wasn't a fan of how much of the rock got eaten away.

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the method of using old live rock that has dried out I just rinsed it with water and put it in along with live sand and my cycle started very quickly due to the rehydration of the bristleworm carcasses and then the quick decay of them.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the rinse and go. The leftover organics will probably actually help your cycle along by being a source of ammonia eventually.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back