New tank debating triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm gathering supplies on starting a new tank and debating on triton. I'm trying to gather opinions and really how to do it. Let me tell you about the build so far.

I have a 210 (72x24x29h) going to be plumbed into basement into a 100 gallon sump. (set up triton, ie. No socks, big fuge, appropriate skimmer under glass return.) there is going to be a frag tank connected 60 gallon. I'm debating on adding also either scrubber or 40b mangrove display fuge.

Few questions.
1. Will this basic set up work. I want to do a mixed Reef.
2. What do I need to get this going.
3. I've read a bunch on converting a mature tank but not starting new, is it good to start a brand new tank on triton? I've also read it's designed for mature tanks also.

I'll post more questions if I come across any along the way! Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm gathering supplies on starting a new tank and debating on triton. I'm trying to gather opinions and really how to do it. Let me tell you about the build so far.

I have a 210 (72x24x29h) going to be plumbed into basement into a 100 gallon sump. (set up triton, ie. No socks, big fuge, appropriate skimmer under glass return.) there is going to be a frag tank connected 60 gallon. I'm debating on adding also either scrubber or 40b mangrove display fuge.

Few questions.
3. I've read a bunch on converting a mature tank but not starting new, is it good to start a brand new tank on triton? I've also read it's designed for mature tanks also.

i think from the start would be easier than converting you have less to loose and more time to dial it in before expensive livestock is added. Im attempting on a mixed reef. all yoo really need is 3-4 dosing pumps. the stuff you already listed. elements and jugs to dose them out of. I just started and still have questions but if it works like its suppose to it should simplify alot.

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm leaning towards starting with it. I know triton is good for sps dominant Reef but is it good for a mixed reef? What I plan on having.

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be with the no water changes you would have more particals in water column for Los and softies to feed on. The alk would be my only concern I now my Lps softies and zoa seem to be alittle better with higher alk but that could be just me and have nothing really to do

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point with the no water change more particles. Interesting about the alk in your experience. Good to know

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a 550 gallon mixed reef Triton tank for a client with a focus on sps. We started the tank with Tropic Marin pro salt and excellent RO/DI water. We started dosing the base elementz from day 1 after a few weeks once the alk started to drop. After 3 months the tank is doing great, coraline algae is growing, corals are colored up and encrusting and not one coral has died. We used live rock from a system we had running at UC to minimize cycling issues.

Triton would work fine on both a new or mature tank. The issues with converting an existing system to a Triton system is simply due to changing a stable environment. It has less to do with which method is better and more to do with stress to the animals undergoing the change. For your design, I would be sure to have good flow through the tank and through the refugium, strong lighting in the 4k kelvin range, and run filter socks in the beginning to help stabilize the tank. Only when there is a large healthy population of corals and fish does the detritus actually not become an issue. In new tanks the balance is not there yet and having detritus, rotting foods, etc will work against you. Good luck!

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Few questions.

Forgot to tag you above!

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a 550 gallon mixed reef Triton tank for a client with a focus on sps. We started the tank with Tropic Marin pro salt and excellent RO/DI water. We started dosing the base elementz from day 1 after a few weeks once the alk started to drop. After 3 months the tank is doing great, coraline algae is growing, corals are colored up and encrusting and not one coral has died. We used live rock from a system we had running at UC to minimize cycling issues.

Triton would work fine on both a new or mature tank. The issues with converting an existing system to a Triton system is simply due to changing a stable environment. It has less to do with which method is better and more to do with stress to the animals undergoing the change. For your design, I would be sure to have good flow through the tank and through the refugium, strong lighting in the 4k kelvin range, and run filter socks in the beginning to help stabilize the tank. Only when there is a large healthy population of corals and fish does the detritus actually not become an issue. In new tanks the balance is not there yet and having detritus, rotting foods, etc will work against you. Good luck!
Thanks!! Awesome info. I need some advice on the sump. It's already set up for traditional. Skimmer then fuge but need to flip it around. Would like some input. Will post pics and dims tomorrow.

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the sump I got.
443cb71dbeb9f3378e6d72938bd2fb29.jpg

I live in Denver and ADHI is an aquarium acrylic maker here and this is one of the sumps he got returned because it cracked in shipping. He repaired, guarantees and sold at a deep DEEP discount. It used to be a bio ball sump but he had to take a pannel out and then drilled some holes in the first baffles to make it a berlin sump. From the pic it's designed to go right to left in the pic.

I'm sure as all of you know for triton it needs to flow left to right in the pic. My questions are

1. Should I just install a piece of acrylic on top left of the zump and move the input bulkheads?

2. Where the holes are now the sump is only going to be 6.5 un deep will this work or should I drill holes higher and put a piece of acrylic covering the existing holes? Or can I have the fuge the full 14" tall?

3. Is the skimmer section big enough for a skimmer for a 280-350 gallon range? I'm going to run an external pump.

More pics to help.
d6559be0da3ae366d2aab669ed957d1f.jpg

f3f27226134059c393cb9c3ca63adbc6.jpg

c76b11c35088393f9366e9007e29f7ce.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dedicated triton user and UC customer!
Start off with triton and watch the tank grow.
Read as much as you can take in and it is flawless
How are you going to dose the Elementz?
Also UC has a good diverse selection of macros :)

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dedicated triton user and UC customer!
Start off with triton and watch the tank grow.
Read as much as you can take in and it is flawless
How are you going to dose the Elementz?
Also UC has a good diverse selection of macros :)
Haven't decided how to dose yet. I've had good luck with brs dosers and I think I have a couple laying around but haven't actually decided on a doser yet.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I what I use is the plum xl3 dosing pumps.
They can be purchased WAY lower than any other dosing system.
Also these allow you to dose all the way down to .1Ml HR
It will warn you of ANY error in dosing.
You will find that these are used in ICU units in hospital's
Been using these for several years now. Flawless! P_20150626_144351.jpg

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that's awesome. When I went to nursing school that's what most hospitals used... Becoming less common now. Great idea where do you get them

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get them from the common online auction.
I picked a few up for $60 each :)
If you do go this route let me know as cassettes are hard to come by but I have a whole stash of them
The best way to dose a tank IMO with little to no fluctuation in water parameters
Common dosers are peristaltic and dose a set amount at a given time.
With my method its dosed drops at a time 24 hours a day

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the sump I got. <br />
443cb71dbeb9f3378e6d72938bd2fb29.jpg
<br /><br />I live in Denver and ADHI is an aquarium acrylic maker here and this is one of the sumps he got returned because it cracked in shipping. He repaired, guarantees and sold at a deep DEEP discount. It used to be a bio ball sump but he had to take a pannel out and then drilled some holes in the first baffles to make it a berlin sump. From the pic it's designed to go right to left in the pic. <br /><br />I'm sure as all of you know for triton it needs to flow left to right in the pic. My questions are<br /><br />1. Should I just install a piece of acrylic on top left of the zump and move the input bulkheads? <br /><br />2. Where the holes are now the sump is only going to be 6.5 un deep will this work or should I drill holes higher and put a piece of acrylic covering the existing holes? Or can I have the fuge the full 14" tall? <br /><br />3. Is the skimmer section big enough for a skimmer for a 280-350 gallon range? I'm going to run an external pump. <br /><br />More pics to help.
d6559be0da3ae366d2aab669ed957d1f.jpg
<br /><br />
f3f27226134059c393cb9c3ca63adbc6.jpg
<br /><br />
c76b11c35088393f9366e9007e29f7ce.jpg

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a need to rearrange it. It's still going to work if skimmer comes before fuge. I would run it how it is if u go to brs they say the skimmer footprint on description so you can get biggest possible. I have a RO regal dc series and it's nice

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that you want a refugium 15-20% the volume of the system (Mine is only about 12%) so you would want that section to be as deep as possible. You could plug the holes or install a bulkhead with a PVC ell pointing up, then you could raise the water level as high as you want.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back