New tank has cloudy water for several weeks

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm setting up a new tank. Its had water in it for about two weeks and remains cloudy. It seems a whitish color.

In the tank I have rocks (tonga and pukuni that were cured for 4 weeks), a block of marine pure, black carib sea sand, carbon, and bio pellets. There is one dead shrimp cycling the tank. The skimmer has been on for a couple of days and pulled some gunk out, but it didn't seem to help. The socks have a little gunk, looking more like diatoms. I used red sea coral salt with RODI water. Salinity is 1.028 (yes a touch high, I plan to adjust later) I also added biospiria, but it was cloudy before adding it.

Any ideas on why the water is cloudy and remains so?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacteria, but that last only a few days.
Can you test for ALK?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure its bacteria. Today is more cloudy and the tank and sump surfaces have a slimy feel. Any thought on what to do?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? Temp, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, alkalinity, salinity, etc.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add filter floss to your socks. some might not agree but in the past if I had a bacterial bloom I would use clarity and filter floss and it would clear up in a few hours.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? Temp, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, alkalinity, salinity, etc.

I do have a rotting shrimp and some scallops in the tank for the cycle. I used biospira, so it looks cycled. I also cranked up my skimmer to 11 today and set it wet.

temp - 73 (apex) (yes a bit low I have new heaters coming. The finnex were crap)
salinity 36.4 (apex) (a touch high, I haven't adjusted since filling the tank to cycle)
ph 7.85 (apex)
ammonia 0 - 0.25 (api)
nitrite 0 (api)
nitrate 0 (api) o (red sea)
calcium 400 (red sea)
alk 11.6 (red sea) (I'm a little surprised its this high)

Its cloudier today than yesterday. All the surfaces have a film on them I wiped off. The skimmer is pulling light brown stuff out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely the cured rock has a lot of ammonia in it and them bacteria was added and caused the bloom.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a rotting shrimp and some scallops in the tank for the cycle. I used biospira, so it looks cycled. I also cranked up my skimmer to 11 today and set it wet.

temp - 73 (apex) (yes a bit low I have new heaters coming. The finnex were crap)
salinity 36.4 (apex) (a touch high, I haven't adjusted since filling the tank to cycle)
ph 7.85 (apex)
ammonia 0 - 0.25 (api)
nitrite 0 (api)
calcium 400 (red sea)

Its cloudier today than yesterday. All the surfaces have a film on them I wiped off. The skimmer is pulling light brown stuff out.
Have you had any nitrites or nitrates yet? From your numbers it looks like the cycle just started. It will be done when all you have left is nitrates.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph 7.85 (apex)
ammonia 0 - 0.25 (api)
nitrite 0 (api)
calcium 400 (red sea)

Without any nitrates I wouldn't say your tank has cycled. When you add shrimp or other food to rot to start the cycle you never know how fast they will decay and release ammonia. Your cycle may not have gotten started yet. Hard to say.

Your alk is high because your salinity is so high.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been two weeks and things haven't gotten going with the bio-spira, it might not have worked. Dr. Tim's one and only is good bacteria. Has your ammonia gotten any higher than that? If not, that would be unusual.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you cure the rock?

In a garbage can with water. Even when I cut the pukani pieces there were still sponges inside I couldn't get to. Its mostly tonga though, all the pukani is cut. There might be a few sponge bits left, but not major ones. I'm not saying the rock is pristine, just pest free :) I'm not planning on livestock until everything is good.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biospiria added was to cut down the cycling duration correct?

Yes, and to add the correct bacteria to the tank. It really seems to have worked. I will consider it for setting up a quick QT tank later. I'm not in a hurry for the tank to be ready, I just want to set up a pest free system.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been two weeks and things haven't gotten going with the bio-spira, it might not have worked. Dr. Tim's one and only is good bacteria. Has your ammonia gotten any higher than that? If not, that would be unusual.

My ammonia or nitrites aren't higher. The shrimp is almost gone, so I assume there had to be some. I added the scallops (out of shrimp) to make sure I had a continued ammonia source. I'm guessing its getting consumed.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia or nitrites aren't higher. The shrimp is almost gone, so I assume there had to be some. I added the scallops (out of shrimp) to make sure I had a continued ammonia source. I'm guessing its getting consumed.
That's strange. You should have seen nitrites then nitrates. Nitrates are what is left when the cycle is done, and those are lowered with a water change. How often did you test since you started the tank?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange. You should have seen nitrites then nitrates. Nitrates are what is left when the cycle is done, and those are lowered with a water change. How often did you test since you started the tank?
I've tested the past few days only. Yes - I cant explain the numbers either. I'm wondering if the biopellets are removing the nitrates? I have a LOT of decaying matter in there. which might be fueling the bacteria bloom. But I want to also make sure I get the bacteria for a good cycle. This the the 6th tank I've cycled, and the first I've had this cloudy bloom. Its also the first time I've used biospira or biopellets.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely the cured rock has a lot of ammonia in it and them bacteria was added and caused the bloom.

This seems likely, but bacteria follows organics and not ammonia from what I've read. If this is the case do you recommend to wait it out or to take action?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back