New tank has cloudy water for several weeks

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a peppermint shrimp to handle that.
Clear water is the goal first right?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a peppermint shrimp to handle that.
Clear water is the goal first right?
A clear stable system before I add my coral and fish from my existing tank is the goal. I'm only a couple of weeks into the cycle. I have a few more for certain.

This cloudiness doesn't seem right. The tank is really cloudy. That's why I ask. I have never seen this type of bacteria before (I have had green algae blooms), and I'm not sure if it has to do with the cycle, or something else. After a few weeks of it, and it seems to be worse, I'm not sure if waiting it the correct option. I will wait if so, but if something else, like UV would be better, I would be willing to try it. Has anyone else had this happen?

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used biospiria before with any other tank cycles?
If not then that could be the kicker that may have interacted with something to make it worse?
I would do weekly small water changes and test your water for po4, nitrite, ammonia.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clear stable system before I add my coral and fish from my existing tank is the goal. I'm only a couple of weeks into the cycle. I have a few more for certain.

This cloudiness doesn't seem right. The tank is really cloudy. That's why I ask. I have never seen this type of bacteria before (I have had green algae blooms), and I'm not sure if it has to do with the cycle, or something else. After a few weeks of it, and it seems to be worse, I'm not sure if waiting it the correct option. I will wait if so, but if something else, like UV would be better, I would be willing to try it. Has anyone else had this happen?
A pic would b great. You could be correct and its ab normal.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would b great. You could be correct and its ab normal.

20170220_204920.jpg

There is a powerhead on the other end of the 5' tank you can't see.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used ammonia in the past, but I can no longer find pure ammonia without sulficants. Hence the shrimp and scallops.
Exactly. My thought is the cycle did not take with the rock you cured separately. So when you put it in the tank with the bottle bacteria, it bloomed.
20170220_204920.jpg

There is a powerhead on the other end of the 5' tank you can't see.
Hard to say. Ive seen worse tanks with a bacterial bloom. IMO, you could let it ride because theres nothing in it. You actually want a large bacterial population.
Then do a big water change in a week or two. Add fish or CUC a week later. Id go CUC first. Same amount of time as a normal tank cycle. So annoying but not bad Id think.

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask, how do these vortex attach to the tank? Do you need to cut a hole in it?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. My thought is the cycle did not take with the rock you cured separately. So when you put it in the tank with the bottle bacteria, it bloomed.
I don't think I understand. if the rock didn't have much on it, the shrimp produced ammonia. I had the shrimp in for about a week before I added the biospria. This type of bacteria (from what I read of Randy's articles) is not the nitrate producing one, but instead one that feeds on organics.

I'm just not sure why its persistent and not going away. Nor am I sure why I have decaying matter but no nitrates.

reefless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the dead shrimp out. You probably have a bacterial bloom. Since you don't have any nitrates and have added denitrifying bacteria you probably are cycled, and the rooting shrimp is causing a bacterial bloom

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use vinegar to clean the tank or the equipment for the tank before you filled it?

This looks exactly like what happens when someone overdoses Vodka into their tanks. Cloudy bacteria bloom along with low to no No3 and PO4. From your picture it looks like you have another salt water tank in the background which makes it unlikely that you have an airborne contaminant. I'm guessing you haven't intentionally added a carbon source like Vodka to your tank.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thats odd.

are you sure? also where was the bucket, was there a powerhead in it?

I examined all the rocks very closely several times. There could be a small sponge left in a piece of pukuni I couldn't see, since I know it didn't all cook out, but overall the rocks are quite clean. There could be something in them, but I'm sure the shrimp would have much more of an effect than anything in the rocks.

Take the dead shrimp out. You probably have a bacterial bloom. Since you don't have any nitrates and have added denitrifying bacteria you probably are cycled, and the rooting shrimp is causing a bacterial bloom

I agree and am taking it out this morning. It seems that the only thing available to fuels a bloom like this is the decaying matter.

Did you use vinegar to clean the tank or the equipment for the tank before you filled it?

This looks exactly like what happens when someone overdoses Vodka into their tanks. Cloudy bacteria bloom along with low to no No3 and PO4. From your picture it looks like you have another salt water tank in the background which makes it unlikely that you have an airborne contaminant. I'm guessing you haven't intentionally added a carbon source like Vodka to your tank.

No, I used water where I could. The only exception was one powerhead I moved in yesterday. It got a full disassembly and soaking, along with a good rinse. I have 4 other tanks. The cause may be airborn, but this tank has something fueling it.

Any kids in the house?

nope. I caused whatever this is :eek:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I examined all the rocks very closely several times. There could be a small sponge left in a piece of pukuni I couldn't see, since I know it didn't all cook out, but overall the rocks are quite clean. There could be something in them, but I'm sure the shrimp would have much more of an effect than anything in the rocks.

I agree and am taking it out this morning. It seems that the only thing available to fuels a bloom like this is the decaying matter.

No, I used water where I could. The only exception was one powerhead I moved in yesterday. It got a full disassembly and soaking, along with a good rinse. I have 4 other tanks. The cause may be airborn, but this tank has something fueling it.

nope. I caused whatever this is :eek:
You aren't making this easy! :p

Any chance you have high organic content in your water? RODI system not working correctly?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is needing new DI after filling the tank, but still has low TDS. I think its the shrimp and scallops. Shrimp was gone today and scallops are falling apart. But I'll get them all out today and see if it starts clearing up.

Back