New to R2R restarting after 4 year hiatus

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to "do it right this time" after years of trying to run overstocked nanos. Setup at 28G for three months now migrating to a 50G with a sump. Looking to do LPS, nems and Softies. Currently have a beautiful Wyoming White Clown. When my 50 is established with pods want to have:
Midas Blenny
Flasher Wrasse
Mated Clown Gobies
Mandarin (mated?)

Quick poll! Black Sand Bed or natural? Love the look of both but that black with the crazy colored softies and nems on the sand bed...

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone on the replies. If there are any tips on the fish I'm looking to get based on compatibility and/or needs (beyond pods) I'm all ears

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I like the natural sand myself.

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on waiting on Mandarins. Planning on a refugium and seeing with Algeabarn copepods. Also will wait until 9 month mark.

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my current setup. 3 months in - def have a few coral species I shouldn't right now - I was fooled into purchases by a LFS which started me on the path of trying to do this the right way which is moving into a 50G with a 20G sump. Also switched LFS to UltraGem Coral - those guys are awesome. Currently running live rock, carbon, live sand, weekly water changes. Orbit Marine Pro with the 10 hour 100% intensity with two 15min fades.

Doing another parameter check soon but everything is stable.

Leather with Green Polyps- crushing it. Very happy.

Blue / Green Sympodium - not as blue as I hoped but already expanded by 25% growth.

Mushrooms - growth around 25% as well. Noticed some browning from green which I attribute to too much light but two have split and it has seemed to stabilize.

Green Galaxea - prob shouldn't be In this tank. Doing ok haven't seen much recession but hasn't thrived either. Any tips would be appreciated.

Blue Gorgonia - def shouldn't be in this tank. This was the dumb newbie buy. Seeing if my new LFS will take off my hands for free to try and save.

Wyoming Clown- got this guy underfed and not looking great and he seems to be doing much better. Will pair in new tank once it is setup and fully cycled.

Reef cleanup crew. Love me. Doing an amazing job.

Lettuce Nudi- another not great purchase but has survived for 2 months.

PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK FROM THESE QUESTIONS DEF APPRECIATED.

Clown- feeding flake have tried frozen shrimp doesn't eat it. What should / can I move him to to get away from flake?

Feeding coral - dosing 2x / week capful of Marine Snow and Phyto. Any feedback on those products with this bio load and setup?

Any thoughts on lighting? http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

Any other tips appreciated. Going to prob KEO the current tank as a QT
IMG_1480794644.068200.jpg
IMG_1480794651.283021.jpg
IMG_1480794659.668653.jpg

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, those blue gorgonians sure are pretty. Its a shame that they are near impossible to keep long term.

Thanks and agreed. Sad to have gotten led down the dark side by a bad LFS (also didn't do my own research so need to own up as well). Looking for someone that could care for them better then I am currently setup to do.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Nice to meet you @scoopsthedog !* In response to some of your questions;

The Galaxea is hardy but it can be a slow growing coral.Try offering some frozen foods at night or first thing in the morning when the feeding tentacles are out. Be certain to keep this coral away from the other corals.Their sweeper(stinging)tentacles are quite long.Also be sure to keep tabs on your water parameters as this will benefit all your animals.

You could try feeding Cyclops Ease to your clown if he prefers the tiny foods.Keep offering frozen foods for sure!

Your sympodium looks great!

1460837541958.jpg

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Nice to meet you @scoopsthedog !* In response to some of your questions;

The Galaxea is hardy but it can be a slow growing coral.Try offering some frozen foods at night or first thing in the morning when the feeding tentacles are out. Be certain to keep this coral away from the other corals.Their sweeper(stinging)tentacles are quite long.Also be sure to keep tabs on your water parameters as this will benefit all your animals.

You could try feeding Cyclops Ease to your clown if he prefers the tiny foods.Keep offering frozen foods for sure!

Your sympodium looks great!

1460837541958.jpg

Thanks for the reply! The sympodium is def doing well - seeing some small growth. The leather is looking twice as good as when it was at the LFS. Got the Galaxea in the middle of the tank and have been using reef snow every other day and it seems to like it. I've been testing 2x week and have had steady specs. Lots of life in the sand and rock.

The clown is addicted to formula one flakes - doesn't mind taking a huge flake and chewing on it. Seems to ignore frozen- any other thoughts on what to feed him?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back