New to R2R

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum, but not the hobby. My name is John and I've been in and out of this hobby since 1980 (kept freshwater before that) when I started my first saltwater tank at the tender age of 11. I remember when tanks had metal trim, dolomite substrate with under gravel filters and mostly dead rock, if any.
My first fish was a beautiful Undulated trigger that I kept for years (by himself, after I learned the hard way). I would later get into reefs, mostly mixed, but all nano tanks.
I've had several jobs at fish stores (my day gig, as I was a traveling musician for most of my life), but one of the best jobs was working for Dick Perrin @ Tropicorium (I know about his semi-recent history, but this was before that time). I learned so much by working with so many different species of corals, inverts and fish every day. There was always something new going on, but being able to observe these animals every day, was a great learning experience. Something that has stuck with me ever since.
After moving to southern California, I didn't have a tank for nearly 14 years, but that changed two years ago, when I decided to buy my son a xmas gift, a 22g AIO.
Here's the tank after being set up for a couple weeks, Feb, 3 2015
IMG_1839_zpsuo80vyiy.jpg

and here it is Feb, 5 2017
IMG_3500_zps03fpnke3.jpg

I'm running out of room, so now it's time to upgrade to a 90g shallow.
Thanks for looking and excuse the crappy iPhone pix.
Happy reefing!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum, but not the hobby. My name is John and I've been in and out of this hobby since 1980 (kept freshwater before that) when I started my first saltwater tank at the tender age of 11. I remember when tanks had metal trim, dolomite substrate with under gravel filters and mostly dead rock, if any.
My first fish was a beautiful Undulated trigger that I kept for years (by himself, after I learned the hard way). I would later get into reefs, mostly mixed, but all nano tanks.
I've had several jobs at fish stores (my day gig, as I was a traveling musician for most of my life), but one of the best jobs was working for Dick Perrin @ Tropicorium (I know about his semi-recent history, but this was before that time). I learned so much by working with so many different species of corals, inverts and fish every day. There was always something new going on, but being able to observe these animals every day, was a great learning experience. Something that has stuck with me ever since.
After moving to southern California, I didn't have a tank for nearly 14 years, but that changed two years ago, when I decided to buy my son a xmas gift, a 22g AIO.
Here's the tank after being set up for a couple weeks, Feb, 3 2015
IMG_1839_zpsuo80vyiy.jpg

and here it is Feb, 5 2017
IMG_3500_zps03fpnke3.jpg

I'm running out of room, so now it's time to upgrade to a 90g shallow.
Thanks for looking and excuse the crappy iPhone pix.
Happy reefing!
Nice tank !!! Welcome .. happy reefing !!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, we're happy to have you and your experience here! Very nice tank:)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome John, beautiful tank. :)

Back