New to salt water

Chaory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking into the future of starting a salt water aquarium. I have a 10, 29, and 40 gallon that I can convert. As of right now I'm just thinking about using live sand and rock (no corals etc).

Was thinking about using a HOB filter or maybe a canister. Besides the salt water mixture, filter, and heater, do I need anything else? Do I need a certain type of lighting for live sand and rock? Is more circulation needed? Is the water changes the same as fresh water? What types of fish etc can I keep together in these size tanks?

Thanks in advance.

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest reading as much information on starting a saltwater tank you can. Get as much basis knowledge as possible. Don't be in a rush, and absorb as much info as possible, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Welcome to the hobby, good luck.

OP
OP
C

Chaory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest reading as much information on starting a saltwater tank you can. Get as much basis knowledge as possible. Don't be in a rush, and absorb as much info as possible, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Welcome to the hobby, good luck.
Yes, I'm trying to asorb everything. Watch a lot of YouTube videos. Will look into some info in here, thanks.

PetuniaTheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With fish only tanks, you don't have to get powerful lighting like reef tanks would have to light the tank. A less powerful LED would be perfect as it wouldn't contribute to algae growth as much as a stronger light would. For circulation, a circulation pump (I use koralia pumps) would help circulation. Water changes are the same as freshwater except you would mix the saltwater and get the pH correct. You would, however, add freshwater to replace evaporated water since the salt stays in the water, so as water evaporates the water gets saltier. Hope it helps!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a challenging and great hobby. One saying I always refer to- "If your in a hurry- it will always cost you!" - so I agree with Mr Holloway. Take you time. Ask for advice and read , read ,read...

OK if your going to set up a system with those three tanks - 40 display, 29 refugium/sump , and a 10 gallon refugium/sump with will work. Or you could use the 10 for a QT tank - but it is a bit small for that. Do you have any actual plan? Do you have a stand for the 40 gallon tank that will accommodate the 29 and 10 under it? or maybe you thinking 40 display, 29 sump and using the 10 gallon for a gravity fed refugium to the 40 gallon display. You see - many ways to do things and there is only a few real "no , No's". If you not planing to have any coral - just fish with live rock then that is called a FOWLER set up and you do not "need" any expensive light for that. However, a 40 gallon tank can only hold certain fish- do NOT ask local retail for what fish as they will often sell fish that will not work in that small of a tank. There are exceptions and great people out there -so again - ask for advice - but take responsibility to also know for yourself. You can have a very cool set up with those three tanks.

A good thing to do is get into the local salt water club. Many locals can and will help you.

OP
OP
C

Chaory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With fish only tanks, you don't have to get powerful lighting like reef tanks would have to light the tank. A less powerful LED would be perfect as it wouldn't contribute to algae growth as much as a stronger light would. For circulation, a circulation pump (I use koralia pumps) would help circulation. Water changes are the same as freshwater except you would mix the saltwater and get the pH correct. You would, however, add freshwater to replace evaporated water since the salt stays in the water, so as water evaporates the water gets saltier. Hope it helps!
Thanks for the lighting tip. Yes I did watch a video that mentioned not to add salt when topping off evaporated water, since salt doesn't evaporates. So is the extra circulation needed or it's just for taste?

OP
OP
C

Chaory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a challenging and great hobby. One saying I always refer to- "If your in a hurry- it will always cost you!" - so I agree with Mr Holloway. Take you time. Ask for advice and read , read ,read...

OK if your going to set up a system with those three tanks - 40 display, 29 refugium/sump , and a 10 gallon refugium/sump with will work. Or you could use the 10 for a QT tank - but it is a bit small for that. Do you have any actual plan? Do you have a stand for the 40 gallon tank that will accommodate the 29 and 10 under it? or maybe you thinking 40 display, 29 sump and using the 10 gallon for a gravity fed refugium to the 40 gallon display. You see - many ways to do things and there is only a few real "no , No's". If you not planing to have any coral - just fish with live rock then that is called a FOWLER set up and you do not "need" any expensive light for that. However, a 40 gallon tank can only hold certain fish- do NOT ask local retail for what fish as they will often sell fish that will not work in that small of a tank. There are exceptions and great people out there -so again - ask for advice - but take responsibility to also know for yourself. You can have a very cool set up with those three tanks.

A good thing to do is get into the local salt water club. Many locals can and will help you.
Thanks for the advice. I meant either turn one of those tanks into a salt water aquarium. Yes I like to keep a peaceful environment for my fishes and good room to grow and strive.

PetuniaTheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lighting tip. Yes I did watch a video that mentioned not to add salt when topping off evaporated water, since salt doesn't evaporates. So is the extra circulation needed or it's just for taste?
The circulation is simulating the wave current in the ocean, and it also will improve water quality by keeping the water circulated. The pump you need does not need to be as powerful as one in a reef system, but your fish will appreciate the flow.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking into the future of starting a salt water aquarium. I have a 10, 29, and 40 gallon that I can convert. As of right now I'm just thinking about using live sand and rock (no corals etc).

Was thinking about using a HOB filter or maybe a canister. Besides the salt water mixture, filter, and heater, do I need anything else? Do I need a certain type of lighting for live sand and rock? Is more circulation needed? Is the water changes the same as fresh water? What types of fish etc can I keep together in these size tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Yup good luck. My suggestion is don't buy the expensive livestock until later (wait a year). Stuff dies. Things show up out of nowhere. Best to get your feet wet slowly compared to full on cannon ball. Problems show up then go online. Of course try to research before...

If I were to start again I'd check Craigslist. You can find people getting rid of an entire system for cheap.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted on the build!

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched on YouTube as previously suggested. Watch the full series of BRStv the BRS160 and you'll know all the basics. The rest comes with experience.

I bought my tank of Craigslist. $1200 for everything on a 75g rimless. I probably saved $2k but I've also probably spent another $2k in livestock and supplies since my April purchase. It's addictive and if you have a scientific mind it's all encompassing. Good luck and happy reefing!!!

OP
OP
C

Chaory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched on YouTube as previously suggested. Watch the full series of BRStv the BRS160 and you'll know all the basics. The rest comes with experience.

I bought my tank of Craigslist. $1200 for everything on a 75g rimless. I probably saved $2k but I've also probably spent another $2k in livestock and supplies since my April purchase. It's addictive and if you have a scientific mind it's all encompassing. Good luck and happy reefing!!!
Thanks for th suggestions. That's expensive. I will start small first, lol.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for th suggestions. That's expensive. I will start small first, lol.

Tell me about it lol. I wanted something that looked nice but when you look at the extras like sump, skimmer, wave makers, lighting, heating, reactors, ATO, live rock and sand (which not sure I'd do again), RODI system and storage, fish and corals, test kits, and dosing chemicals for Ca, Alk and Mg... you get to a high number fast.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back