OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This specimen was noticed about 6 months ago on a polyp rock I purchased from my LFS. At first it looked like a tiny flower anemone (the size of 1/2 pencil eraser) I carefully removed it and glued it onto a frag plug shaft:). I feed it small pcs of food, it always eats and is not picky about the type. As of this post its about the size of a nickel.

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png
Side view

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and nice tank!

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this tiny hitchhiker? Posted above

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks kireek, looking at some online images for "baby fungia (plate) corals that might be what I have here. My LFS did house a large one in the same system I purchased the polyp rock it came from. Any tips on the best food for fungia? Never owned one, and as mentioned before it seems to eat anything I throw at it.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks kireek, looking at some online images for "baby fungia (plate) corals that might be what I have here. My LFS did house a large one in the same system I purchased the polyp rock it came from. Any tips on the best food for fungia? Never owned one, and as mentioned before it seems to eat anything I throw at it.
That is NOT a plate coral. It is a ball anemone. I have two that are twice that size with the exact color and structure. It can retreat into that tube on the base.

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is NOT a plate coral. It is a ball anemone. I have two that are twice that size with the exact color and structure. It can retreat into that tube on the base.

The "tube" is not a tube at all it's a frag plug stem. I cut the disk off and glued this guy to the end. He will not be retreating into it ever. But thanks I will know more as it grows

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some frozen foods like Cyclops Ease or Brine shrimp it's way.Be sure to keep taking pictures as it grows! Keep it away from your other corals too.Fungias do not take damage well.

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip on fungia damage Kireek:) well it's definitely not a "ball anemone" other than the fact when I glued it down and it didn't die lol, I pulled it out of the rock work tonight, and when it retracted its has a soid skeleton. It's placed low and in the front so I can keep an eye on its progress.

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look a lot like mine JoshKL83. Does yours have a solid plate like skeletal structure when retracted? I have some small translucent ball anemones this one is different. Thanks for sharing

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look a lot like mine JoshKL83. Does yours have a solid plate like skeletal structure when retracted? I have some small translucent ball anemones this one is different. Thanks for sharing
Yes that is the skeleton. You may be right. Matter of fact i think you are.

OP
OP
Jam-reef

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward 16 months since I noticed this tiny hitchhiker. It's about 2" across when fully out.
IMG_1483594828.998071.jpg
IMG_1483594869.317095.jpg

Back