New Video on our 800 Reef - Diatom Algae Yeast solution + first corals :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it and just broadcast it into the display water turned cloudy for a matter of hours, continued to run skimmer. Applied it every other day, 2 applications was all I needed diatoms cleared up seem to have not effect on fish, as a matter of fact I think they ate some of it. Really glad I saw this thread

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud went down to the grocery store and got some of the same packets rev linked and put 1/4th in which is a bit under my gallon amount. Been going through tons of carbon fighting the cloud for about a month now without success. Fingers crossed this clears me up. Turned skimmer off and took mechanical filters off

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud went down to the grocery store and got some of the same packets rev linked and put 1/4th in which is a bit under my gallon amount. Been going through tons of carbon fighting the cloud for about a month now without success. Fingers crossed this clears me up. Turned skimmer off and took mechanical filters off
Any updates?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Seems to be deemed inconclusive. No real proof it works, lack of data, and most likely the diatoms were already on there way out. I read another thread saying yeast won't survive in saltwater, anyway.

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be deemed inconclusive. No real proof it works, lack of data, and most likely the diatoms were already on there way out. I read another thread saying yeast won't survive in saltwater, anyway.
I'm thinking of trying it. If it doesn't work I'm okay with that, I just want to make sure it won't harm anything.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of trying it. If it doesn't work I'm okay with that, I just want to make sure it won't harm anything.
Your fish will love it. It's like a tasty treat for them lol

Reefjunkie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for about four days and I've noticed my nutrients drop. Coral seem to look better and tank seems to be a lot clearer. Looks like its starving out any algae. Can anyone explain why this might be happening so far no complaints

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for about four days and I've noticed my nutrients drop. Coral seem to look better and tank seems to be a lot clearer. Looks like its starving out any algae. Can anyone explain why this might be happening so far no complaints
Which nutrients?

Reefjunkie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates and nitrates
They have lowered dosing yeast. I guess the bacteria is consuming them

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Yeast

I posted this to point out how it's mostly used to create co2. The sugars in yeast will also break down in a reef tank. Aside from being a bacteria, I don't think it can survive in a saltwater environment.

Reefjunkie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doing something. Just down know how. Maybe when it's convert to sugar it's like carbon dosing?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I messaged Dave about coming on and answering some yeast questions.

OP
OP
Vivid Aquariums

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing yeast to combat diatom algae I use approx 1/4 teaspoon every other day for 5-7 days or until I don't see diatoms anymore. I simply add the dry yeast into a high flow area of the aquarium. While I was very careful in measuring my dosage the first time I was a little more liberal with repeat doses.

I do not know exactly why this works but it has worked well in many of our store systems, it has worked well for a wholesaler we frequent, and it has worked well for many of our customers. Nobody has had or mentioned any bad side effects to me. I'm confident enough about this method that I wouldn't think twice about adding it to our 800 reef or farm systems that house our most prized corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When dosing yeast to combat diatom algae I use approx 1/4 teaspoon every other day for 5-7 days or until I don't see diatoms anymore. I simply add the dry yeast into a high flow area of the aquarium. While I was very careful in measuring my dosage the first time I was a little more liberal with repeat doses.

I do not know exactly why this works but it has worked well in many of our store systems, it has worked well for a wholesaler we frequent, and it has worked well for many of our customers. Nobody has had or mentioned any bad side effects to me. I'm confident enough about this method that I wouldn't think twice about adding it to our 800 reef or farm systems that house our most prized corals.

Thank you Dave and that's good enough for me!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back