New zoa/Paly tank build

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would ask the pros.
Setting up a new 24x24x12 tank that will be my zoa garden.

Ai Prime HD for lighting
20 gallon long sump
30 lbs live rock
Mp10 for flow

Should I run a skimmer?
GFO and Carbon reactor?

Thoughts and advice would be great...

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would ask the pros.
Setting up a new 24x24x12 tank that will be my zoa garden.

Ai Prime HD for lighting
20 gallon long sump
30 lbs live rock
Mp10 for flow

Should I run a skimmer?
GFO and Carbon reactor?

Thoughts and advice would be great...

My best tank, zoas & acro, has no skimmer. Barely ever gfo or carbon. I would make your 30g a fuge with some macro algae only as the benefits are endless.

Keep fish load not overcrowded and you will do great. I'd suggest a small wrasse for just in case pest control but most likely make that the last fish addition.

OP
OP
S

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best tank, zoas & acro, has no skimmer. Barely ever gfo or carbon. I would make your 30g a fuge with some macro algae only as the benefits are endless.

Keep fish load not overcrowded and you will do great. I'd suggest a small wrasse for just in case pest control but most likely make that the last fish addition.
What parameters are you at?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters are you at?
No need to chase crazy numbers with zoas, or anything else for that matter. My suggestion would be to keep your levels at what they are when they mix with whatever salt you use. I use aquaforest because it's cheap and i like the bucket it comes in. It generally mixes at 7.7dkh and around 400ppm ca so that's where i maintain at and where everything seems to do the best for me.

Ca should always be maintained over 370 but doesn't make any difference the higher you get up to around 500 where some zoas ime don't really like the high ca. Natural dkh is 7 so anywhere you keep it over that is fine but i notice the higher it goes, the more likely you are to have stn/rtn with sps. Doesn't happen nearly as much ime if alk is lower than 9.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodide/Iodate weekly,,test,,test,test,,I have very heavy bioload and water changes will not keep up with it..always dose 2/3 0r 3/4 of dose..never over dose,,hence the testing

Back