New zoas open for a week then suddely....

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new zoas that I got from my local lfs we're open for about a week and then all the sudden have closed and are not opening. My water parameters are good and I don't know what could have done this I haven't changed anything except for added a few new snails and hermit crabs.
0 nitrate
0 nitrite
Ph 8.3
0 ammonia
Specific gravity 1.24 just did a freshwater top off and hasn't mixed well yet.

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that i have seen and i have checked periodically today . i hardly see them and all my other corals are open and happy.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some detailed pics that may help us are what you see.

Sounds like a fairly new tank? Usually takes some time to stable out and no coral likes instability.

What lights?

#zoaexperts

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks been up for about 4 months. temp is 82. 2 36-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps.2 LED Nite Vu Moonlights

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82°F is kinda high.
Bring it down to 78°F if you can.

Yep, pics will help people to help you!

Grandis.

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a picture of mine exactly but this is literally what they look like except 4 not 3. and this and many alike is why i did 82 http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

download (3).jpg

Bknip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a picture of mine exactly but this is literally what they look like except 4 not 3. and this and many alike is why i did 82 http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

download (3).jpg

I have always run my reef between 80-82 and never had any problems. It seems something else is going on... How long is your light cycle? Where do you have them placed in the tank? Have you checked for phosphates?

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light cycle is around 10 hours of bright and the rest blue. I have suspected phosphates because there is a patch of algae and diatoms. My parameters a few are in the first post my temp is 80 now. I need phosphate test my kit didn't come with any. My alkalinity is around 180 ppm. I also put a phoszorb pack in the rear chamber last month.

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will i lower the phosphates better i havent seen very good results from the phoszorb.

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ordered chemipure elite media and until i get paid again and can do a little over haul im also gonna do a 40% water change and make my feeding schedule every other day.

Last edited:

Bknip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ordered chemipure elite media and until i get paid again and can do a little over haul im also gonna do a 40% water change and make my feeding schedule every other day.

You can run gfo if the chemi pure doesn't work. You have to have a consistent water change schedule and stick to it. Do the 40% and in a week do a normal 20% for a few weeks and see where your levels are at. What size tank and filtration do you have?

OP
OP
TwistedCourtea

TwistedCourtea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found out the issue i took the frag out of the tank to take it off the plug and noticed tons of teeny tiny bugs everywhere so right now it and another frag they were on are being dipped all other corals have no trace of these bugs.

Back