Newbe needs advice before buying any tank or anything.

sb33073

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like the place to come to for advice. I am looking into getting a saltwater tank started. I have had freshwater tanks in the past, but want a saltwater now. What would you recommend as far as size of tank and what i need to have for a fish and reef tank? I don't have unlimited funds to buy a huge tank, but want a nice looking tank that I can be proud of but not break my bank account. Thanks

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, In my opinion areally good size for the money is a 75 g. It will let you keep many things and not so over the top it will break the bank. I honestly would try to spring for one that is reef ready. As it isnt too much more. A 75g here local is 219 for a 75g reef ready with glass tops.

WRXgucci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 40 breeder. perfect dimensions for a mid size tank without it being custom made. and not too big not too small.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is if you want a larger tank on a limited buget, try Craigslist or somewhere similar. With so many people abandoning the hobby in tough times, you can find awesome deals and spend more money on things like lighting and skimmer. What fish do you want? That will make a big difference in what you should look for. I don't like anything less than 4 feet long due to my likes in fish.

Oh by the way, welcome to R2R.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Do you have a budget?

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater thing as well and what I was always told was bigger is easier...but personally I wanted it to be as hard as possible. But as said before if you have a limited budget, search craigslist constantly and you'll find something free or really cheap. Good luck!

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a 40 breeder also. You can pick one up at Petco when they have there $1 a gallon sale. Also it helps to be patient, research the equipment you want to buy, check the forsale threads on here for deals. Buy the equipment you want from the beginning, you will save alot lol. Good luck

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 40 breeder but for a true first tank I will always recommend 75g, it is a perfect middle size. While bigger is better something like 90percent of people last a year or less in this hobby and the equipment, tank, lights, rock, sand and various other bits you need for a 75g will only run about a grand give or take to get you started new. You wont be out a ton of money if you decide it is not for you either, prices tend to jump past 75g as well.

If you go craigslist you can get a heck of a deal but PLEASE take an experienced reef keeper with you! I would pay $800 for a used system without livestock if it was in pristine condition but $200 for the same system with hair algea, aiptasia, ich, red bugs or any other of a myriad other plagues I would pass on. Yes the problems can be fixed but for your first tank you will get very frustrated with the money spent on fixing it and/or the 6+ months it could take in time and constant attention.

There litterally are thousands of reef keepers in your area, do a google search for local clubs, there are bound to be people willing to help you find the tank for you. Reef keepers tend to be a close group with very few bad apples. When I started this hobby I did it on the spur of the moment and just happened across my local clubs flyer at the local fish stores bullitin board and without them I wouldn't have lasted 6 months...

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a 48x30x25 tank, its not to big and the 30inches in depth (front to back) is really nice when you start putting things in the tank.

OP
OP
S

sb33073

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks guys for some of the info. You guys have given me a starting point. I'm located in Coconut Creek , Fl

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any expert advice for u but I am in the exact same position as you. As others have said, search Craigslist. I live in Memphis TN so the hobby is not near as popular to where u r. That being said I was able to get a remorac pro Skimmer for 100 and it came with Skimmer box and mag5 pump, 50 pounds of Tonga branch for 45 dollars and am about to get a coralife 150w mh light for 120. I believe all those bought new would run at least six hundred. I already had a tank but they r selling for 100 for a 75g with stand and canopy. This is a lot of writing but the jest of it is to scroll Craigslist and the deals r definitely there

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

couch702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt get anything smaller than a 60g tank. But the bigger is better. Also the best thing for ANYONE getting in the hobby, and especially for someone on a budget. Be patient, peace the tank together slowly. It took me about 2 months before I ever put water in my tank. And it took about another month or two with just water and one big rock in it before I moved on from there. Take your time and piece it together slowly. Dont rush it just to have a tank. I promise you will regret it later.

Back