Gulf Live Rock Instant build (sorta)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my QT today, about to make water and fill it. It’s a 29 gallon aqueon with a 20 gallon sump. Drilled it and put a 400gph fijicube overflow on it. My return pump is a Jebao MDP DC pump. Max flow of 924gph - way to overpowered but I can dial it down to 7%. If it’s still too much flow I put a ball valve in the return line to dial it in further. I also added 2 stackable filter trays to hold floss and carbon.
This was a fun build while I wait for my live rock order for the big tank. Will order some fish soon to quarantine for a month at least.

Not sure I can call that a QT. More like a cycled observation tank.

IMG_0705-compressed.jpeg IMG_0703-compressed.jpeg IMG_0702-compressed.jpeg IMG_0704-compressed.jpeg
Off to a great start! Are you going to paint back wall so you can’t see the plumbing?

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start! Are you going to paint back wall so you can’t see the plumbing?
Probably at some point. Part of me is proud of my handiwork, part of me doesn‘t trust my handiwork just yet so I need to see it in operation. But good call!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably at some point. Part of me is proud of my handiwork, part of me doesn‘t trust my handiwork just yet so I need to see it in operation. But good call!
Your plumbing looks great to me, I’m not handy so it’s way better than anything I could have done. Keep up the good work, Im following.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also jeez, just looked at your thread. Stunning that transformation from 2022 to now. I love this site.
Your plumbing looks great to me, I’m not handy so it’s way better than anything I could have done. Keep up the good work, Im following.
don‘t praise me just yet. Hope it doesn‘t leak :) Or make horrible noises. Making water right now, both for this tank and the big one. I need approx 300 gallons. That‘s a lot of buckets from the basement.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also jeez, just looked at your thread. Stunning that transformation from 2022 to now. I love this site.

don‘t praise me just yet. Hope it doesn‘t leak :) Or make horrible noises. Making water right now, both for this tank and the big one. I need approx 300 gallons. That‘s a lot of buckets from the basement.
My back hurts just reading that! :zany-face:

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need approx 300 gallons. That‘s a lot of buckets from the basement.
An Iwaki pressure pump and a long a** hose........ yep. LOL. I don't have a basement but I do all my mixing in the garage. I implemented this solution because carrying the buckets got real old real fast.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Iwaki pressure pump and a long a** hose........ yep. LOL. I don't have a basement but I do all my mixing in the garage. I implemented this solution because carrying the buckets got real old real fast.
That‘s funny. I am hovering over my brute bucket right now trying to figure out if my 1/6 hp utility pump has enough oompf. If not, off to lowes in the morning. What rating on your pump?

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That‘s funny. I am hovering over my brute bucket right now trying to figure out if my 1/6 hp utility pump has enough oompf. If not, off to lowes in the morning. What rating on your pump?
This is what I use... it's a beast.

I didn't use an iwaki - I'm too cheap. The pan worlds have been really good to me over the years.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use... it's a beast.

I didn't use an iwaki - I'm too cheap. The pan worlds have been really good to me over the years.
Thanks, i‘ll look into those. My son just calculated max head pressure and vertical lift of my 1/6hp pump. I might have a chance. He is studying fluid dynamics :)

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i‘ll look into those. My son just calculated max head pressure and vertical lift of my 1/6hp pump. I might have a chance. He is studying fluid dynamics :)
1/6hp submersible pumps just fine from basement :)

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running out of space before I even started. Big ole stand with so much room. I wonder what made them choose a sump that’s almost as long as the stand with this kit. I guess I will have to build a cabinet outside the tank to hide all the cables and controllers
IMG_0730.jpeg

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling rather clever about filling the tank. put a remote controlled 1/3hp sump pump in the basement rodi tank. Takes about 5 minutes to suck the 45 gallons upstairs. Now waiting for next batch. No bucket carrying.

Attachments

• IMG_0749-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0749-compressed.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My @Gulf Live Rock order arrived today. 150 lbs rock and 200 lbs sand. I had it shipped airport to airport, doesn‘t look there is too much die off. The rocks look phenomenal - covered in coralline and sponges. Also some unidentified corals and anemones. I found quite a few hitchhikers, mostly snails and hermits - and a few wormy things. I removed nothing - except a few mussels that looked dead (they were open). Here are some pictures.

IMG_0998.jpeg
IMG_0942-compressed.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0962-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0962-compressed.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0956-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0956-compressed.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0950-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0950-compressed.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0948-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0948-compressed.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0947-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0947-compressed.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0996.jpeg
    IMG_0996.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 31

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My @Gulf Live Rock order arrived today. 150 lbs rock and 200 lbs sand. I had it shipped airport to airport, doesn‘t look there is too much die off. The rocks look phenomenal - covered in coralline and sponges. Also some unidentified corals and anemones. I found quite a few hitchhikers, mostly snails and hermits - and a few wormy things. I removed nothing - except a few mussels that looked dead (they were open). Here are some pictures.

IMG_0998.jpeg
IMG_0942-compressed.jpeg
Nice. Love to see what 150lbs looks like as I have a 170 that im trying to figure out how much I need.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my preliminary scape, I want 3 distinct pillars of different height with channels in between. 150 pounds is just about right. I may glue an arch between two of the islands. 200 lbs of sand was pretty much the right amount to cover the bottom evenly 1 to 2 inches (3 in some places). Hope this picture helps, no lights above tank yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1014-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_1014-compressed.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 40

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xr30's on a 4 foot tank... i think honestly, its pushing it for a 4 foot wide tank.
The intensity is not a problem, its the light spread and shaddows.

I would probably suggest 3 x xr30's or im hearing photon v2 48 inch light is a very good light and being 48 inches long, should give you nice coverage.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xr30's on a 4 foot tank... i think honestly, its pushing it for a 4 foot wide tank.
The intensity is not a problem, its the light spread and shaddows.

I would probably suggest 3 x xr30's or im hearing photon v2 48 inch light is a very good light and being 48 inches long, should give you nice coverage.
I ended up getting 2 xr30s and hung them 12 inch above the waterline. You are right, intensity is not a problem, I get 120 par in the sand on the corners of this 5 ft tank. When I have recovered financially I will add at least 2 blades to take care of the shadows - or buy a 3rd radion and hang them perpendicular..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back