OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stArt! I have the same tank! Here is my scar when I first set it up.

IMG_0167.JPG
Beck,
That's great. I actually envisioned a similar seascape. We'll see how good my skills are soon. How's the Red Sea treating you?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef Eddie! Looks like you've made some solid choices.

You should get a refractometer, and some test kits. You need an alkalinity (KH) test kit, Nitrate (NO3), Phosphate (PO4) in a readable low range, Calcium (Ca), and a Magnesium (Mg) test kit. (I like salifert test kits, for KH, NO3, Mg. I use redsea test kits for (PO4) or a Hanna ULR Phosophorus checker).
All of those things seem like they are unimportant, but they are the only way to tell what's going on in your tank until you learn all the visual cues that it gives you. Plus they will help us, help you when you need it, if you can provide those parameters.

I look forward to seeing you/ your tank grow in this hobby!

Don't be afraid to latch onto one or several of the members here who you like their style of reef keeping. Almost all of us enjoy sharing this hobby with others and are more than willing to answer any question no matter how trivial it may seem at the time!

Happy Reefing

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to an awesome and addicting hobby! You have joined a group of great, supportive people. Your equipment looks like a solid start. My advice is t never become complacent in learning about your new passion. Remember you are a keeper of water and the fish and corals are just decoration. Once you warp your head around what it takes to stabilize and maintain your water it will darn near be a zen moment.

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to an awesome and addicting hobby! You have joined a group of great, supportive people. Your equipment looks like a solid start. My advice is t never become complacent in learning about your new passion. Remember you are a keeper of water and the fish and corals are just decoration. Once you warp your head around what it takes to stabilize and maintain your water it will darn near be a zen moment.

Keep the water chemistry is hardest thing to do in this hobby to me. I don't know if it get easier to manage over time.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did order an API test kit, refractormeter, 2nd cheap heater for water changes and a bottle of Seachem Matrix. Not sure if I need the matrix...

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you looked up your city water Quality report before buying the ro di. I did not and had to wait to get the upgrades to handle chloramine.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Eddie!

Got a smile out of your username ... that's New York for "Hemlock", no? (>_<) Hope you enjoy your new addiction - and keep the weekend of Reef-A-Palooza free! (Along with more cash that you really wanted to spend . . . )

~Bruce

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back