Newbie needing help :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wrong for that ! Side note- I'm staying at a holiday inn until this is rectified. :/

You're not really right?

Roll up your sleeves and drop that rock on your drive way, Plano forecast tomorrow is lots of sun............ bake baby bake :p

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah no - I'm a smart butt. My cousin came in town and we are starting the extraction now. Got one little bristle worm. Freddie wouldn't make an appearance so he's off to get soda water and cheese cloth. Cloth first. Plano sun and soda second. It's a really really big rock so trying to avoid pulling it out if possible. By the time he leaves, either Freddie will be gone or he's getting the title to my new home.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I showed the store this video. They said " uh no. But here try this. ". Told them it's head wouldn't even come close to fitting in that hole and showed them the pic. They told me to shave the hole down. Ugh. Looks like I'll be trying soda water here in an hour or so.

image.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck! I have never had the pleasure of trying to remove something like that.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is funny. I just ran across this posted on George Takei's FB page this evening - of all places! I hope yours is smaller than this one. I thought it was going over the edge and out of the tank at one point. Ha!

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunger is your best friend when trying to catch one of these, anything in the reef really. But your worms may be coming out so frequently because they are getting hungry. No doubt that's what happened to your shrimp. So you might be able to use that to your advantage with trapping, but. . . my own experience with one of these, I had to remove the rock mine was in and leave it in a empty 5 gallon bucket for a day and a half to finally be rid of mine. It finally came out and coiled around the bottom of the bucket and I put the rock back in. The zoas and mushrooms on the rock made a quick recovery. Looking back I wish I had just taken the rock out sooner. Nothing I tried worked prior to that and I lost a lot of livestock to that $&@# thing. Just my two cents. . . Good luck!

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunger is your best friend when trying to catch one of these, anything in the reef really. But your worms may be coming out so frequently because they are getting hungry. No doubt that's what happened to your shrimp. So you might be able to use that to your advantage with trapping, but. . . my own experience with one of these, I had to remove the rock mine was in and leave it in a empty 5 gallon bucket for a day and a half to finally be rid of mine. It finally came out and coiled around the bottom of the bucket and I put the rock back in. The zoas and mushrooms on the rock made a quick recovery. Looking back I wish I had just taken the rock out sooner. Nothing I tried worked prior to that and I lost a lot of livestock to that $&@# thing. Just my two cents. . . Good luck!
Yea that will probably be how I go. It's just such a massive rock. And so many of my babies are in there. :( but this **** has got to go. The aquarium store today told me to throw the rock away. I don't want to do that !! So he said to starve them a few days then try the trap again. I feed my fish and other babies well so I guess the worms are fed well too. Going to cut back and see how it goes. Most that were out at one time last night was 7. Caught 3 standard bristle worms but the big boys were impossible. Picked up the trap like a dumbbell and carried it to the rock. Time to pack the bags.

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock I took out filled up over half of the 5 gallon bucket. I don't believe I would have ever gotten him out of there without removing the rock. Good news is you will be worm free.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, whatever happened with the worm issue? Did you move out of your house? :)

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha no BUT it made an appearance. A goby died. I came out and it had half of it in its mouth. It retracted quickly and dropped half the fish. This guy was caught the other day. Thick as a finger. Normal worm but kinda big. Nothing like Freddie though. I've taken about 10 out so far.

image.jpg

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have them if you want! I'll ship them to you. I don't want them. Have plenty :/

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a pvc pipe trap. Take a piece of 3/4 inch pvc pipe, and cap off both ends, make it a foot long or what ever you can fit in the tank. If you have to go shorter than a foot then use larger diameter pipe. The idea is to give the worm a place it feels safe enough to go into completely to eat the bait. Drill a hole large enough for the worm to enter but not large enough for him to pull the bait out. Then use a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store. Leave the trap in there a couple days at a time and check it/ or change the bait every other day til you catch him. Just make sure the entrance isn't large enough for the worm to pull the bait out and go back to his lair. You will probably catch a lot of stuff you didn't know was in there.

Back