OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I need more than diesel!! ☺️ Btw , is this starfish eating my zoa or is my zoa eating this starfish? Hmm

image.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I need more than diesel!! ☺️ Btw , is this starfish eating my zoa or is my zoa eating this starfish? Hmm

image.jpg

Tell me more........... I like story time :rolleyes:

Pic is a bit unclear but the star on your zoa looks like a nudy, and your zoa looks more like a chalice with the bony edges.
Again a better close up might clear things up.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled it out of its mouth. The starfish was squished but still intact. The zoa or chalice is now closed up. Can't tell if it's dead or angry. I'll post a pic of the starfish

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's dead now I think. Hasn't moved from this position since I removed it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me more........... I like story time :rolleyes:

Pic is a bit unclear but the star on your zoa looks like a nudy, and your zoa looks more like a chalice with the bony edges.
Again a better close up might clear things up.

That was him when he was opened. ( bottom of pic)

image.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had these zoa's or chalices that eat starfish like that.
Keep a eye out your coral if it opens back up again soon.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Paly alright.
Is it dark green in color?
What's a paly? Sorry still learning. A polyp? Bought a bunch of books and researching like crazy but this live rock came with so much it's hard to tell one from another. Have a massive either bristle worm or bobbit worm. It's as thick as my finger and wrapped all the way around my big live rock and still didn't see the end. Got good video of part of it eating. The paly is maroonish under normal light and neon green in center under blue light

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go,,,,,,,,,, http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/good-corals-for-beginners-zoanthid-and-palythoa/

I would try to get rid off that worm ASAP as bristle worms are ok when little but that big can be even dangerous for you as many know the sting from it ain't that NICE!!
Now if it is a bobbit worm that is completely different, check this lovely creature out,

I think it's a bobbit. It opened its mouth and ripped up a chunk of shrimp. I need to find out how to remove it. Wish I could upload the video. I named him Freddy.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here-comes-freddy.jpg

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahah oh I'm already scared as it is!! It's so ugly and big! Aquarium guy is getting a trap. When a worm needs a TRAP!!! I am now thinking of selling my house.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahah oh I'm already scared as it is!! It's so ugly and big! Aquarium guy is getting a trap. When a worm needs a TRAP!!! I am now thinking of selling my house.

Nightmare at Casa RealtyBoss! ;)

Bobbits are pest that only belong in the big ocean but not in the aquarium, you will have no fish left over.
I'm wondering now where your rock is coming from cause bobbits are rare to see in the trade for a few years as not a whole lot of rock is coming from the ocean floor anymore.

Sell you house and move to the LONE STAR STATE :rolleyes:

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to burn it. There are more. If you get a chance go to my fb and watch the video. You can see its mouth unlatch and rip a cube if shrimp in half. Found more today ( smaller). Got an arrowhead to get it as they didn't have a trap wig enough for Freddie ( they saw the video). Www.facebook.com/Lauren.sutcliffe the video is public so you should be able to seen also bought a harlequin shrimp for the starfish. It was eaten with an hour by something. :(

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, sorry to hear and see this.
So far for great rock, maybe this was the reason to get rid of it to a newbie.
With out fish in the tank maybe a light dip for a hour or so in a bayer bath for some pieces of the rock as it will kill all things live with a nerve system but will do nothing to corals.
You still got all the time and I believe you want to do this right.
If this was my tank I would salvage some of the corals by removing them from the rock and treat all rock either in Bayer or just letting out to dry in the sun for a few days and again re-cure it to get it ready for your tank.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, sorry to hear and see this.
So far for great rock, maybe this was the reason to get rid of it to a newbie.
With out fish in the tank maybe a light dip for a hour or so in a bayer bath for some pieces of the rock as it will kill all things live with a nerve system but will do nothing to corals.
You still got all the time and I believe you want to do this right.
If this was my tank I would salvage some of the corals by removing them from the rock and treat all rock either in Bayer or just letting out to dry in the sun for a few days and again re-cure it to get it ready for your tank.
Thank you. I found out just now it's infested with them. ( smaller ones). I did have 2 fish when I went to bed. Just woke up to check on the babies and one is gone and the other was on the ground too weak to swim. I took him and let him rest and fed him some in case he got stung. After an hour he perked up. I have a ton of beautiful corals but something ate my harlequin shrimp an hour after I got it and now my fish. Also something has mutilated my hermit crabs. I will do as you say as I love my tank and everyone on it ( besides Freddie) are/ were my babies. They even let me pet them and I read damsels are darty. I'm so sad and I don't want to kill my brittles but these worms are everywhere. Longest being at lease 2 feet. Looks like a snake it's so thick and long. I'll read my books on how to properly frag the rock and then dry the rock out. Question- do I need to cycle my QT before I move Joe there or do I just leave him in DT with no rock? Thanks for your help and welcome to my fb :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup a QT and move Joe in there.
A QT in your case doesn't have to be large and 10 gallon can be enough but for future quarantines a 20 gallon is better.
All you need with it is a HOB a heater and a few PVC fittings for the fish to hide.
Fill it up with old tank water make sure the all equipment is working to let it run for a hour or so and release the fish in there.
You can also house your corals in the QT but you need a small light togivevthem some kind of light.
After that you can clean your DT tank by taking out rock and sand to clean very good.
Let me drop in the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] tag for some more advice on your hand as we at R2R want you do the right thing and be successful for the long term.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are nasty. You definitely have to treat your rock and sand like Diesel has suggested. I would use some thick rubber gloves when you do. Unwanted hitchhikers are the major drawback when using live rock which is why many now use dry rock and seed with a piece or two of LR. I hope this does not deter you as a reefer. Good luck and update your progress.

Back