OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness. Im glad you asked all the right questions. It is a bit maddening at times. But what youll see is theres a lotta great folks that feel the same as you do. keep an eye out.
Patience is such a hard thing and its hard to figure out when its actually going wrong.
I hope it's nothing.
Bugs bloom from time to time and go away. Algae too. Fish go missing and become less shy after a while and are glad to see your face at the glass.
Its part of the fun and challenge to keep it going.
Keep an eye out and report back.:D

One question what kind of sand do you have?

I thought I had done everything but dumb newbie missed the QT step ... geeezeeee.
Yes a lot of good people here, I joined the forum on a high note and within about 48 hrs all went down hill, if it wasn't for the people here I wouldn't know what I would done, spent all day at work crying instead the few outburst that did happen!
I have something just don't know what ... why so easy to see this morning, then hubby saw nothing, then I came home and nothing and a hour or so later it is back!

For the life of me can't remember the name of the sand been in there since setup in October but it was a live sand and I only use RO for top off and on my weekly water change I use nothing buy nutri seawater.

I will report back in the morning for sure.

Last edited:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for everything during my break down today!

While I know I have something just not sure what ... you all were wonderful!!!!
Helen, as I said I am new to this as well and believe me I have had stress, sadness plus some and everyone has been great here. I saw your pictures from yesterday and then this morning on the clown fish and would have thought something was/ is up. Hopefully all is well and I know that WE are all glad we could be here for you. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just to be sure I am following correctly... the white spots are back now??

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and this is a pic I just took.
They seem to be doing fine, I don't see any difference in behavior and they just ate like little pigs, like they always do!

I am not seeing any rubbing on the rocks at all!

In the midst of the madness ... as I was looking for my little yellow goby ... I be ****** if I didn't see the missing firefish pop right out of the back of a rock!!! For the love of goodness!!! I will be checking myself into the nearest looney bin soon!!!!o_O

IMG_2225.JPG
So glad you found the fire fish, how is your clown fish doing? All of the spots gone?

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt you have to QT your fish for treatment.

Yes, have already done so ...
have 10 gallon with nutri sea and hob filter going.

Lost the dwarf angel over-night and the other one's looking k

I have started the QT with copper safe.
I lost the dwarf angel over night :(
The other fish aren't looking so good in QT (10 gallon with nuri seawater and HOB filter)
Guess time will tell!

I know this tank has to now be cleaned (sit for the 72 days) what are the steps I need to clean this tank?

Also, in the meantime the other tank will be here today and I need to get this up and ready in the event I can save any of my current fish.

I have read through the 'HOW2REEF: The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium' and this is the
plan for the new BioCube 29.

Have decided to go a little different route than I did with the 1st tank (as listed in the top of the forum)

1. Skimmer in Chamber 1
2. inTank Media Rack in chamber 2 (floss on top, Purigen middle and Chemipure Elite on the botttom)
3. Stock pump with heater added chamber 3
4. Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump 425 in display
5. Sand: Bottom: CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand on the bottom with CaribSea "Sea Flor” on top
6. Add Dry Rock
7. Nutri Seawater (any thoughts on this - either good or bad?)
7. Turn on all mechanics
7. Add a Table shrimp (is this frozen no shell?)
8. Let the cycling begin!
9. Monitor all levels

In reading through the guide here is the question I have.

In 'Stage 4: Diatoms' does this just happen or I need to add something for this to occur (little confused)

Last edited:
OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling defeated but not giving up!!!

I have decided to set up a permanent QT so that going forward I won't be in this situation.

I have purchased the 12 gallon Nano Cube Next Generation LED

What is the minimum that I need to ensure this is always ready?

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, have already done so ...
have 10 gallon with nutri sea and hob filter going.

Lost the dwarf angel over-night and the other one's looking k

I have started the QT with copper safe.
I lost the dwarf angel over night :(
The other fish aren't looking so good in QT (10 gallon with nuri seawater and HOB filter)
Guess time will tell!

I know this tank has to now be cleaned (sit for the 72 days) what are the steps I need to clean this tank?

Also, in the meantime the other tank will be here today and I need to get this up and ready in the event I can save any of my current fish.

I have read through the 'HOW2REEF: The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium' and this is the
plan for the new BioCube 29.

Have decided to go a little different route than I did with the 1st tank (as listed in the top of the forum)

1. Skimmer in Chamber 1
2. inTank Media Rack in chamber 2 (floss on top, Purigen middle and Chemipure Elite on the botttom)
5. Sand: Bottom: CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand on the bottom with CaribSea "Sea Flor” on top
6. Add Dry Rock
7. Turn on all mechanics
9. Monitor all levels

In 'Stage 4: Diatoms' does this just happen or I need to add something for this to occur (little confused)[/QUOTE

Last edited:
OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, breaking down the old tank ....
Am assuming that the intank media rack, heater and circulation pump and all that can't be used for 72 days also???

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you break it down you can clean it all with a bleach solution and start the cycle all over again.
You have a 29G so it won't be a large job to do with only a few fish and no corals.

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you break it down you can clean it all with a bleach solution and start the cycle all over again.
You have a 29G so it won't be a large job to do with only a few fish and no corals.

Ok, thank you. What ratio water to bleach? If I do this now and then let set for a couple week it will be alright to use?

When I start the new tank in a couple weeks is this ok?

1. Skimmer in Chamber 1
6. Add Dry Rock
7. Turn on all mechanics
9. Monitor all levels

In 'Stage 4: Diatoms' does this just happen or I need to add something for this to occur (little confused)

Trying to do better this time :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only disease I can think of which can drop off and then reappear 12 hrs later is Marine Velvet Disease. Do you have the copper up to full therapeutic levels (1.5-2.0ppm when using Coppersafe)? I understand you are worried about what to do with your DT, but right now I think the focus needs to be on saving the fish in QT. If this is velvet, a FW dip may help:

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Brandon Chi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea don't give up Helen it's all apart of the learning process. I was the same way it made me stress out a lot lol
I mean being in the hobby i have lost my
Diamond goby
Leopard wrasse
My 3 year old mystery wrasse
Six line wrasse
Yellow tang
Darwin clownfish

And at that moment I felt like giving up and selling all but then I had the help of friends and fellow hobbyist encourage me and I have came back stronger.

Now I'm so appreciative to have a tank that matured and stable and now currently have 16 fish that are very healthy and fat.

Stay strong and reef on!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had done everything but dumb newbie missed the QT step ... geeezeeee.
Yes a lot of good people here, I joined the forum on a high note and within about 48 hrs all went down hill, if it wasn't for the people here I wouldn't know what I would done, spent all day at work crying instead the few outburst that did happen!
I have something just don't know what ... why so easy to see this morning, then hubby saw nothing, then I came home and nothing and a hour or so later it is back!

For the life of me can't remember the name of the sand been in there since setup in October but it was a live sand and I only use RO for top off and on my weekly water change I use nothing buy nutri seawater.

I will report back in the morning for sure.
Helen...I am also a relative newcomer with a 10 gal. reef...there are lots of mistakes to be made, some avoidable and some not...I recommend highly Chris brightwell's The Nano Reef Handbook, available on Amazon...I have it in Kindle form...it is a terrific, readable, thorough book which will help you avoid some of the pitfalls...read it once and read it again...also Scott W. Michael's Nano Reef Species is an excellent book to help you pick out appropriate fish, corals , inverts, etc...these books may save your enthusiasm from too much failure...I am new to reefs but 45 years into fish...enjoy...Oh, get the latter book in hard copy form so you can see all the colored photos...Good luck...Ken

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Helen how are things going with your fish? As you can see there are so many great people here so as discouraging as it seems at times it really is worth it. As I told you in an earlier post I am new to this as well and boy have I learned a lot, made lots of mistakes and really feel bad about the sea creatures I have lost. I hope things are going better and hope to see you post soon.

koifishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still planning mine, the largest size tank being considered is 36 gallons and the smallest is 9 gallons. Gobies look so cool!

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Welcome to R2R
Nice tank!
if you are looking for a great protein skimmer try the Tunze 9001 it fix in the second chamber next to media basket. Runs great and does a great job
Here is whats in mine.

29 biocube
1) gutted the lights installed 3 true lumen pro fusion and 3 trulumen pro 455 deep water blue controlled with current usa pro ramp controller
Chamber one
Heater
Chamber Two
2)removed stock filter and bio balls
3) installed IN TANK media basket and running
Floss top shelf
purigen middle shelf
chemipure blue bottom
4) Tunze DOC9001 skimmer
Chamber Three
5)IM desktop running phosguard
6)Tunze Nano Osmolator
7) upgraded to MJ1200 return pump Hydor flow rotating deflector
8)Tunze 6040 nano stream and controller Back right side
9) Hydor nano 565 Back left side

IMG_4500.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back