Newcomer and new to the hobby

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the post and for your info. The coral beauty has been an awesome addition we bought him knowing that it will outgrow the tank but like I've said intend to set up a bigger tank(and prolly others hahaha). With that being said we have had other fish hat have not made it, and this current combination of fish has seemed to come together the best. I don't know if you guys have just felt and noticed the fish come together. The only original fish is the clown but this community seems to mesh well. They are very active I've seen no aggression just a good community right now. They only thing is I have gone through 3 black/tricolor clowns and I really like them. Also with the BTA's are in terrible spots in which I think it makes it hard for the clown, because I really wanted to watch him play in them. But their spots are nice for the coral if they stay out lol...oh well maybe next build.
Nice! I recently got my first clown and she immediately bonded with my coral beauty. Shortly after that I added a second clown, and she wants nothing to do with him. The original clown and coral beauty or inseparable. Quite a fun little couple actually :)

Gomery12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I recently got my first clown and she immediately bonded with my coral beauty. Shortly after that I added a second clown, and she wants nothing to do with him. The original clown and coral beauty or inseparable. Quite a fun little couple actually :)
My clown did the same thing with my Blue Tang, my kids have of coursed named then Dory and Nemo, even though I explained that Marlin was the dad's name. They are fun to watch.
And oh yeah welcome to R2R

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown did the same thing with my Blue Tang, my kids have of coursed named then Dory and Nemo, even though I explained that Marlin was the dad's name. They are fun to watch.
And oh yeah welcome to R2R
It's was crazy, after adding the clown to the tank there was this harmony I'd never seen before. My fairly skittish firefish was suddenly out and about all the time and the angel and clown both let the cleaner shrimp clean them, something I'd never seen before. I've since messed that up by adding a six line who turns out is a jerky and would chase my firefish back to her cave any chance he could. Though they have been cooperating more as of late so my hopes are high!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5199.JPG

OP
OP
ryanncully

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just got back from my sweep of the local shops and maybe adding to the harmony or messing it up.

Picked up:
A bonded watchmen and pistol shrimp
And a month frag

I added some sand a while back to get the watchmen and his pal and couldn't pass up.

And I want to try my luck at a plates coral and to give the top a little more character.

Also I will be asking a few questions about some lighting I have and what I can sustain with it. But I'll make a new thread.
IMG_9609.JPG
IMG_9608.JPG

OP
OP
ryanncully

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the new additions:

I will get better pictures later this evening.

I hope the monti well be a good addition and make it.

I've really got to get some high end lighting.

I have Current Orbit Marine Pro.

My first light setup when I started was the Current Orbit Marine Pro with Ramper. This light was awesome at first and still is but limits me.

I then found a steal on Craigslist for 2 Current Orbit Marine Pro, another Current Marine and a standard White light LED(which will be great for a Refugium) and with all the rampers and remotes.

But I want to get some Acro soon but also wanting a bigger tank...So I've gotta make sure to buy for the bigger tank and maybe if I come across a deal if it's for 20g.

IMG_9615.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryanncully

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty bummed to find out this morning the green RBTA got itself in my filter. I've got to get these stuff with the tank dialed in. Also battling high nitrates right now...have been doing a few big water changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those nems love to commit suicide. You need a foam guard on all powerheads and return pipes.

For the Nitrates, I'd grab Biospira or Dr Tims nitrifying bacteria and dose the tank. That'll up the good bacteria count to help knock out the nitrate, then it'll reduce back to what is needed. Maybe following instructions but half dose since you've already got some bacteria going.

OP
OP
ryanncully

ryanncully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a piece of acro(blue tips with neon green, hairy mushroom?(I forget these names all the time) and also this torch looking piece but I don't think it was called a torch by the guy at my LFS, but it's got some long sweeper tentacles that are out a lot. I also got a tiny, almost nickel sized RBTA that is doing goo but hiding of course.

Also looks like a head on my torch is dying, which is a bummer, stuff is making me angry and that was one of my favorite pieces. I'm really hoping this acro will hold up.

I also got my sump and PAX Bellum set up so hopefully these things will help.
IMG_9845.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG
IMG_9832.JPG

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pax Bellum is awesome. I'd only run it about 5-6 hours per night. Otherwise, you can strip out too much of the nutrients and stunt the soft coral and LPS growth. I do have one, so I'm speaking from experience, but I'm not using it anymore because of the seahorse display refugium I set up.

On the torch, unfortunately, you're going to have to learn to be ok with it. I picked up 2 heads of an amazing gold torch locally and one died a week later. Nothing else I'm my tank had any issue. It just disappeared over about 48 hours. Went into the LFS where I got it and the remaining heads were about 1/2 dead. Some corals just won't make it. It's sad, but you can't always blame yourself.

If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's that I need to be prepared for disappointment. The highs are really high, but there are a lot of things that don't go like you want them to. If you can have a mindset that helps you roll with the punches, you'll really enjoy it more.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back