Next Step .. ? Plz Help

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All ..

125 gallon tank with 35 gallons in sump.

So I have just read a few articles and posts on here within this forum section. but instead of just guessing and throwing stuff in my tank, I wanted to state my current situation and see what the right next step was.

So, as many other threads on here have stated, I have low nutrtients in my system. Have gotten my parameters stable now and have been stable for the last 2 weeks.

* WAS running GFO (and am currently not anymore - also did not test and don't test for P04) as well as Roxx carbon

* had macroalgae in my sump, as the sump was packed, and now it is starting to shrink and die off - an obvious indicator of low nutrients.

* Parameters are now stable (for the past 2 weeks) - Alk was 10.0 ... is NOW 8.0. Calcium - 450 mag - 1400 ---- Also dosing BRS Alk, Mag, Calcium

* Also dosing daily -- and have been for the last 10 days - Acropower. Not seeing any noticeable results.

* Some SPS starting to die off and look brown. Others, have FULL PE and look better then others although lack the color they SHOULD have.

My question is what should my next steps be?

A. Give it more time and wait for things to come back with stable and consistent water parameters?

B. Feed Feed Feed Feed More and turn skimmer off for a period of time?

C. Dose something else I am not aware of and am currently not dosing?

Really look forward to some help here. I DO NOT want these sps to die off.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics to give an idea of what my sps look like

20170117_070502.jpg
20170117_070532.jpg

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't be sure there is a low nutrient "problem", but it is easy enough to add some nutrients or feed more heavily as an experiment.
Thanks Randy! Do you think this would be the best approach and to try to get some color and life back into those sps? Or should I try something else as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! Do you think this would be the best approach and to try to get some color and life back into those sps? Or should I try something else as well?

I'd try it since it is easy enough, and anything else is more speculative.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back