Night time water movement

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some zoa's, obviously many acro's, basically things with very sturdy 'bodies' are going to be the ones able to tolerate those incredibly powerful areas. So think things like thicker bodied acro's (staghorns, probably not birdsnests) maybe some maze corals, things like that? I know I've seen a few books with pictures of massize zoa mats exposed at low tides- however that doesn't prove conclusive because low tide will affect a closed lagoon (low surf zone) just as much as an open reef (powerful wave zone) equally.

It's not a coral, but I was surprised to see an anemone in the surf zone while in Mexico!

CJ

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I set up my mp10 to make lees movement at night? Does it have an internal clock?

Yes it does. You just have to set up its night mode. Directions should be in the owner's manual. Also, be aware that it will lose its night mode settings if it loses power. I also had an issue with it not keeping accurate time, but I think that was fixed with a firmware update.

CJ

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something similar to the OP and trying to figure out how to do that, but after reading through this thread I am not sure. I was thinking about my own personal experience at the ocean and it does SEEM calmer at night, but that could actually be because it is coinciding with low tide? In either case... seems like there is less flow at "low" tide. There would probably be some benefit to trying to recreate low tide.

As far as the feeding going and needing current to carry it, don't people usually lower their flow volume to feed so that food doesn't get carried away?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems slower at night because most of what we see, unless scuba diving, is the waves. The waves are definitely lower at night, but don't really affect more than the top several feet of water. Low tide happens twice a day in most places, depending on where the moon and the sun are. The current is no less during low tide.

I lower the flow when feeding my LPS corals. When feeding SPS, I keep it on its normal setting. Most SPS corals need some flow to capture their food. With the fish, I turn my pumps to 100% and make them chase their food!

CJ

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting. That all makes sense. I will not try to kill myself to get the flow lowered at night now as planned. ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back