Nitrates?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are nitrates good or bad for zoas? Trying to figure out if I need to do a big water change or just small changes over multiple days.

We're having a nitrate discussion in another thread, but I'll chime in here. I'm thinking that below 10ppm is good. Others will say higher or lower, so I would pay attention to them (zoa's) as well.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here:

You can keep very low or even undetectable nitrates and have an amazing zoa tank!
You also can have a bit or sometimes high nitrates levels and still keep zoas really well.
That tells me that would be much better to keep nitrates undetectable.
That way you can remove that nutrient our of the question with the problems that comes with it.
My nitrates are most of the time undetectable. Water changes are good!

Grandis.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change this past weekend. I'll be doing another one in a couple days again to get those nitrates down. Still need to get a reef test kit for everything else though.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change this past weekend. I'll be doing another one in a couple days again to get those nitrates down. Still need to get a reef test kit for everything else though.

Salifert salifert salifert

Check amazon.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have alot of algae/cyano at those higher numbers of No3 and Po4 ?? more film algae on glass too?

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I just posted the rest of my water parameters. Looks like. Y phosphates are way too high at 2.0ppm

drewstaxplaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea thats veryyyyy high. even .25ppm is high. in my tank i use phosban and chemipure. has my no3 currently between 2.5-5ppm and po4 at .1

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Zoa"s growing out of my Zoa's, and my nitrates are 140 with my phosphate at 2.0. Does that make me a bad person? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear from someone that is still having success even with parameters similar to mine. The zoas I have in there seem to be doing fine and only one of the zoa frags seemed like there was a problem, looked like it was turning white. I moved it to a different spot in the tank, gets way more water flow, and seems like the color is coming back.

Back