No Water Changes - FarmerTy Reefing Method

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all wish we could master Ty's method so we have a tank as great as his!

Ty, you want to be a god parent to my tank and come take care of it for me??? :)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so much for the no water changes. I went 3 years with the last tank but made it about 1.5 years into this one and I could tell something was not making my acros happy. I did a 150-gallon water change over the span of a week and lo' and behold... everything is happy again. My suspicions are the newly added marinepure ceramic block I added that I was not too diligent in rinsing well first. The two blocks I have in the new tank are the real only difference from my old tank that I ran 3 years with no water changes on.

I hope this was a one-time event to flush out whatever may have come off the marinepure ceramic block. I'll keep everyone posted... in the meantime... here's a fun update video.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think no water changes means that you dont have a schedule.
it would be silly not to wc when something is amiss. technically i did a huge wc when i had a dino outbreak. but i still keep the no wc schedule.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think no water changes means that you dont have a schedule.
it would be silly not to wc when something is amiss. technically i did a huge wc when i had a dino outbreak. but i still keep the no wc schedule.
Thanks Russ. I just wanted to be upfront and mention any large water volume changes so I don't give any illusions that aren't true. Hopefully this is the one change I'll actually need and it removed whatever accumulation/deficit that occurred in my tank. Time will tell.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triton results when things weren't happy.

fdc9ed13ec2c6fd9433755f9afaf10f3.jpg

275fdbdd9410c7800843e6c3f5d9fe73.jpg

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Farmer,

You still not doing water changes? What are the list of elements you test for and replenish on a regular basis, without using Triton?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Farmer,

You still not doing water changes? What are the list of elements you test for and replenish on a regular basis, without using Triton?
Yes, no water changes still. I don't replenish anything but the big 3, Ca, alk, and Mg. I do dose aminos 2x/week however.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So other then the 3 ,no trace elements at all? I thought you had to replenish them at some point due to them being used up. I am trying to understand this method a litte better.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt its a stunning tank, like mentioned, I've never seen close up shots of his corals. I've seen this FTS before and it looks amazing. The scientist in me would prefer some close shots as well if you can understand. [emoji4]

I'm all for finding different ways to make amazing tanks!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So other then the 3 ,no trace elements at all? I thought you had to replenish them at some point due to them being used up. I am trying to understand this method a litte better.
I would assume so too but I haven't needed to yet. I think I will experiment though on increasing potassium to 600-700ppm and seeing if that improves coloration of acros.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume so too but I haven't needed to yet. I think I will experiment though on increasing potassium to 600-700ppm and seeing if that improves coloration of acros.

Wow, that's pretty bold. A number of folks have reported problems at substantially lower levels.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pretty sure hes using a calc reactor, i dont kno much about the levels of trace elements in media but its used to melt media that is primarily made up of all the trace elements that corals take in

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back