Not new but very new to saltwater, starting again

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start off and let everybody know that I chose to make this in this thread because some of you I know and started a journey and some of you I don't know but we'll meet you on my new. In September of 2016 I was surfing the internet and ran across the site call Reef2Reef I was so excited I instantly logged on and I felt like a nerd and mounds and mounds of information I was so excited I had so many questions so many things unanswered and I found a place to ask them. some of you know... I even got an award for posting 100 post within 24 hours of logging on to the site. I was a little kid heaven in an adult body. I started my journey there I was acquiring tanks, building stands, learning what I needed, asking questions having so many people help me with the knowledge and the patience to guide a new saltwater person into the Salt Water World. This was my new heaven my adult children moved away from home and I jumped in with both feet I wanted to know everything I wanted to build what I thought would be amazing for me. I was so excited I would spend hours upon hours everyday reading threads I would make it my daily goal to greet new people that signed on with a warm and welcoming greeting telling them what an amazing place and devoted the people on this site were. And I was happy to welcome them to their new home on reef2reef. At this point this story will get emotional but I feel that God helped me with this and it needed to be said. So if you are still reading this hold on to your seat and then you will understand why I am new still but starting again with needing those kind people that slowly thought me the mechanics and chemistry to bark on my new journey. At this point it was early December of 2016 I was in everything full force, I wanted to help others like I had been shown my many here at reef2reef. Some of the friends I had made were very amazing and I had told them that I was retired but had MS. I had had it for about 11 years at that point so it was nothing big to me. I was just so happy with learning about reef2reef that I found my happy place I guess you would say. Well get a box of kleenex because you will need it. Just a couple of weeks till Christmas I'm on the site more then ever now. Getting my Secret Santa stuff going working with toys 4 tots. I was in total bliss. This is where you learn that God places things in your path for a reason. 11 days till Christmas I was not feeling well, hey I'm a tough Ole lady I can push through, that was not my case......within 4 days I was placed in the hospital unsure what was going on but loving reef2reef as much as I did I had it on my phone....lol ya it's a girl thing I had to have my nose there. We'll a few days passed and to my suprise things just got worse and worse, when dealing with a person's central nervous system I had Dr's waiting in lines. The unthinkable was happening.....2 almost 3 weeks in the hospital my nervous system was starting to shut my organs down, I struggled but I had my phone and I was able to see my favourite thread on ID ing things. Well at week 4 there was little hope it was being addressed that my life was coming to a close, I have seen pictures of my children at my bedside with me hooked up to everything your mind could imagine at this point. I would come in and out briefly, I was slowly fading. I do remember a few things but not much. My night nurse had learned about my obsession and the friends I had made at reef2reef so I have stories that she and my son's would take turns reading me threads on this sight to hoping it would give my brain stimulation. SEE NOW I'M CRYING.....it was week 5, only my mother and children and grandchildren were allowed in my room it was that time they felt that they needed to say what only Thier hearts felt. See being new on this site reef2reef my children didn't know how to let anybody know what had happened... I believe that I have friends here that wondered it was as if I disappeared. Well I can tell you this......I woke for a moment and I remember somebody talking about Brissel worms but then I faded out. Week 6. I could hear the ticking of machines but I remember very vividly.....I was starting to wake but my vision was gone, I laid there thinking about all the amazing people that were trying to help me understand the chemistry of saltwater aquariums. Now really think about it. For some reason God placed reef2reef in my mind...I was laughing in my mind about silly comments in different threads. All I can remember is grasping for air but all I grabbed were tubes. My son was yelling, people were flying around, BUT a very wise man from this site told me one time. " I know you are new to saltwater but take it in one breath at a time. It will not overwhelm you at that point" that is all I remember in my mind. I woke. 6 weeks and 4 days my organs were starting to slowly function, I had every doctor under the sun in my room when I opened my eyes after 3 weeks of being unconscious. Week 7 I walked on my 2 feet out of the hospital not knowing how it all happened but I can tell you this......I was new here once and by the grace of God and family, I am back. I was able to make my first outing from this mess to the post office to mail a gift to a member on reef2reef. It was the best feeling ever. Now I do have some mild memory issues so this is where I am new again. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading every post I made on reef2reef, every comment made. I believe in my heart that this site reef2reef and the amazing wonderful people here helped pull me through the hardest challenge of my life. BUT I AM Back with 102 questions, so I am here again to learn and restart my saltwater journey again. I have a special thanks you to everyone here at reef2reef I hope you understand that the things you do here go so much further then a post.
This is where I will stop and say to every newcomer.......Welcome to your new home it will find a place in your heart.
All my thoughts and yes I'm still going to talk a lot. Vanessa.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG Vanessa, we knew something's was up but this...................
I'm so glad that you posted this and made ppl wonder what this side means to so many.
Set aside a attack of hair algae a crashed tank, sick fish that pass............ it is compared nothing you went through.
On this very moment all I can tell you is that many are happy you be back with us and any help you need let me know or us know.
Not sure if you ever got the famous ;) Christmas Diesel blue LED flashlight that so many ppl awarded you for it.
If not please let me know as I can send you the one I use personal or if I talk to my friend Belinda from Orphek she will send one directly.
Again Vanessa don't hesitate to reach out girl, it's a honor for me to help out a person like you.

Ben.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to start off and let everybody know that I chose to make this in this thread because some of you I know and started a journey and some of you I don't know but we'll meet you on my new. In September of 2016 I was surfing the internet and ran across the site call Reef2Reef I was so excited I instantly logged on and I felt like a nerd and mounds and mounds of information I was so excited I had so many questions so many things unanswered and I found a place to ask them. some of you know... I even got an award for posting 100 post within 24 hours of logging on to the site. I was a little kid heaven in an adult body. I started my journey there I was acquiring tanks, building stands, learning what I needed, asking questions having so many people help me with the knowledge and the patience to guide a new saltwater person into the Salt Water World. This was my new heaven my adult children moved away from home and I jumped in with both feet I wanted to know everything I wanted to build what I thought would be amazing for me. I was so excited I would spend hours upon hours everyday reading threads I would make it my daily goal to greet new people that signed on with a warm and welcoming greeting telling them what an amazing place and devoted the people on this site were. And I was happy to welcome them to their new home on reef2reef. At this point this story will get emotional but I feel that God helped me with this and it needed to be said. So if you are still reading this hold on to your seat and then you will understand why I am new still but starting again with needing those kind people that slowly thought me the mechanics and chemistry to bark on my new journey. At this point it was early December of 2016 I was in everything full force, I wanted to help others like I had been shown my many here at reef2reef. Some of the friends I had made were very amazing and I had told them that I was retired but had MS. I had had it for about 11 years at that point so it was nothing big to me. I was just so happy with learning about reef2reef that I found my happy place I guess you would say. Well get a box of kleenex because you will need it. Just a couple of weeks till Christmas I'm on the site more then ever now. Getting my Secret Santa stuff going working with toys 4 tots. I was in total bliss. This is where you learn that God places things in your path for a reason. 11 days till Christmas I was not feeling well, hey I'm a tough Ole lady I can push through, that was not my case......within 4 days I was placed in the hospital unsure what was going on but loving reef2reef as much as I did I had it on my phone....lol ya it's a girl thing I had to have my nose there. We'll a few days passed and to my suprise things just got worse and worse, when dealing with a person's central nervous system I had Dr's waiting in lines. The unthinkable was happening.....2 almost 3 weeks in the hospital my nervous system was starting to shut my organs down, I struggled but I had my phone and I was able to see my favourite thread on ID ing things. Well at week 4 there was little hope it was being addressed that my life was coming to a close, I have seen pictures of my children at my bedside with me hooked up to everything your mind could imagine at this point. I would come in and out briefly, I was slowly fading. I do remember a few things but not much. My night nurse had learned about my obsession and the friends I had made at reef2reef so I have stories that she and my son's would take turns reading me threads on this sight to hoping it would give my brain stimulation. SEE NOW I'M CRYING.....it was week 5, only my mother and children and grandchildren were allowed in my room it was that time they felt that they needed to say what only Thier hearts felt. See being new on this site reef2reef my children didn't know how to let anybody know what had happened... I believe that I have friends here that wondered it was as if I disappeared. Well I can tell you this......I woke for a moment and I remember somebody talking about Brissel worms but then I faded out. Week 6. I could hear the ticking of machines but I remember very vividly.....I was starting to wake but my vision was gone, I laid there thinking about all the amazing people that were trying to help me understand the chemistry of saltwater aquariums. Now really think about it. For some reason God placed reef2reef in my mind...I was laughing in my mind about silly comments in different threads. All I can remember is grasping for air but all I grabbed were tubes. My son was yelling, people were flying around, BUT a very wise man from this site told me one time. " I know you are new to saltwater but take it in one breath at a time. It will not overwhelm you at that point" that is all I remember in my mind. I woke. 6 weeks and 4 days my organs were starting to slowly function, I had every doctor under the sun in my room when I opened my eyes after 3 weeks of being unconscious. Week 7 I walked on my 2 feet out of the hospital not knowing how it all happened but I can tell you this......I was new here once and by the grace of God and family, I am back. I was able to make my first outing from this mess to the post office to mail a gift to a member on reef2reef. It was the best feeling ever. Now I do have some mild memory issues so this is where I am new again. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading every post I made on reef2reef, every comment made. I believe in my heart that this site reef2reef and the amazing wonderful people here helped pull me through the hardest challenge of my life. BUT I AM Back with 102 questions, so I am here again to learn and restart my saltwater journey again. I have a special thanks you to everyone here at reef2reef I hope you understand that the things you do here go so much further then a post.
This is where I will stop and say to every newcomer.......Welcome to your new home it will find a place in your heart.
All my thoughts and yes I'm still going to talk a lot. Vanessa.

I literally have tears in my eyes after reading this for the second time to my wife. I will say to you that as a site owner and pastor of a church I sometimes struggle with how my priorities in life line up and which ones need more time than others. I am constantly reminded that the people of R2R are just as important as the people at the church I pastor and that the reach is quiet a bit "larger" and "different." BUT your beautiful post really touched my heart in a big way. While you consider R2R a blessing, I and We consider you a huge blessing to our community. You are one of the many, many awesome members of our community. I'm touched constantly by stories and messages from the good people of this forum. I am just sorry I didn't know what you were going through so you could know that we care and so we could pray for you and send some love your way. I am thankful to God that you found strength and pulled through this trying time. Welcome back and it's an honor to have you as a member.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Vanessa.. What a touching story! David read this to me and I just had to hop on to tell you how much it touched my heart. I am so happy you are doing better and so glad you are a part of the "family" here on R2R. What an inspiration you are. David and I have toyed around with the idea of having an "R2R Family Reunion" in our area just so we can connect and meet with people like you! I am certainly looking forward to getting to know you better. God bless!

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your victory and may you have many more in life and in your passions including Reef keeping. I'm new here also along with a few other forums and they are a wealth of knowledge and kind people. I'm glad you're back and will remember you in my prayers. God Bless.

OP
OP
skybears

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to say a special thank you to everybody for their kind words it is been a very hard struggle it's good to be home, but when you live alone you have to push a little harder. I would like to send a special thank you to @Diesel so when I got home I had a Christmas gift that was a very special moment for me. I'm learning to adjust with a memory issues it's frustrating but I guess everything new is in the beginning. One thing that I have learned it's amazing the trials that we go to the test our faith that moment when you just release,you open your hands in your heart to whatever comes next in your path. One thing I'm working through right now is the fact I lost 6 weeks of my life, you question, you wonder what happened. Right now I'm still in the awwwww and wonder how I was so blessed to have this new chance, a new beginning, a new faith. Bless you all

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back