Not sure what is wrong with my clown.

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG

Not sure what's going on with the clown but I moved him in my hospital tank. Can't seem to find what's wrong with him on the fish diseases forum. The spot on his tail seems to be losing it's color. At first I thought it was a big white cauliflower looking spot but then I noticed it getting bigger and it's more of color loss. I have dosed general cure in the hospital tank but if anyone has an idea of what this is please let me know. I did notice him rubbing on the torch coral in my main tank.

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that it may have been stung? Otherwise Looks healthy from the picture provided. Nipped at while sleeping?

OP
OP
abbas.jaffer5

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timnem I was also told it has a concave belly which is caused by parasites so I'm hoping the general cure helps with that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a hole in his head between the eye and mouth

That's Hexamita, a very aggressive internal parasite. The worms actually bore from the inside out, which is why you are seeing a hole near his head.

In addition to treating with GC, I would start soaking a little in his food so it can be better received internally.

OP
OP
abbas.jaffer5

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Hexamita, a very aggressive internal parasite. The worms actually bore from the inside out, which is why you are seeing a hole near his head.

In addition to treating with GC, I would start soaking a little in his food so it can be better received internally.

He stopped eating yesterday but I've been feeding him hexshield for about 5-6 days.

I moved him into the hospital tank today and treated with general cure but he is not taking any food. Anything I should do to try to get him to eat or should I wait until tomorrow and feed again.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish for helping out aj. Also, any ideas on permanently curing Hex. I have a clown with a managed case going on a year at this point. I have treated with general cure (10ish doses) and did two 30 day courses of metronidazole infused food. Clown still has white poo, the holes have healed for the most part and he is fat/growing. I'm just at a loss at this point on how to fully rid my clown of this pest. None of my other fish have ever displayed symptoms. Thanks again for the help.
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is the only known treatment I know for Hexamita. However, white stringy poop does not always mean Hexamita. There are milder internal parasites which can also cause this symptom. Simple tapeworms, for example, are best treated using praziquantel.

I also plan on experimenting with fenbendazole in the future for intestinal worm eradication.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I am getting at is there an alternate approach to ridding a fish of Hex? And if not what are the long term prospects, can a clown live a full 15+ year life with a managed case of Hex like it can with ich? Thanks for the help @Humblefish and @melpyr1985

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I am getting at is there an alternate approach to ridding a fish of Hex? And if not what are the long term prospects, can a clown live a full 15+ year life with a managed case of Hex like it can with ich? Thanks for the help @Humblefish and @melpyr1985

No alternate approach that I am aware of. Are you sure that your fish has Hexamita. Have you seen the hole in the head, in addition to the white stringy poop?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble didn't see you had responded, darn tapatalk app lol. Followup question is can prazipro be fixed to food with focus? If it can be can you safely feed it in a full reef display? Or would you reccomend fixing general cure to hit both metro and prazi in one feeding?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No alternate approach that I am aware of. Are you sure that your fish has Hexamita. Have you seen the hole in the head, in addition to the white stringy poop?

Yes the holes were very prominent. And erosion was seen down the entire lateral line.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble didn't see you had responded, darn tapatalk app lol. Followup question is can prazipro be fixed to food with focus? If it can be can you safely feed it in a full reef display? Or would you reccomend fixing general cure to hit both metro and prazi in one feeding?

I would stick to food soaking GC for this situation.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture from almost a year ago when I rescued the little guy.
IMG_0511.JPG

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help @Humblefish I will begin another treatment in hopes it works. I will let you know the results in a month or so.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Orcus Varuna Good luck. I knew a lady that had a tomato clown for 9 years with intestinal worms before she finally took care of it. But it was tapeworms, not Hexamita. The latter is usually something a fish cannot endure without treatment.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back