Not sure what is wrong with my clown.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy I feel dumb. LOL ;) Learn something new every day!

If not knowing the IUPAC name of a drug is your dumb moment I think you have a leg up on most of society haha.

Take this girl for example.....
IMG_0123.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not knowing the IUPAC name of a drug is your dumb moment I think you have a leg up on most of society haha.

Take this girl for example.....
IMG_0123.JPG

LOL. I'll take that complement :D Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Orcus Varuna I think you are on to something by using Hex Shield. Metro kills the intestinal worms and then Magnesium Sulfate flushes them out. The only weakness I see is some fish with internal parasites are reluctant to eat (especially pellets.) But I suppose metro + mag sulfate could either be soaked in a more appealing frozen food, or even dosed in conjunction in a QT.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Orcus Varuna I think you are on to something by using Hex Shield. Metro kills the intestinal worms and then Magnesium Sulfate flushes them out. The only weakness I see is some fish with internal parasites are reluctant to eat (especially pellets.) But I suppose metro + mag sulfate could either be soaked in a more appealing frozen food, or even dosed in conjunction in a QT.

The good thing is this fish is a pig and ate 5 hex shield pellets earlier and probably would have eaten 20 haha. So if this works I guess a rough baseline can be established for treating internal parasites in marine fishes with epsom salt and metro.

On another note, I do find it interesting how much more resistant the marine species of spironucleus seem to be to Metronidazole. In cichlids and other freshwater fish I have treated, 7 days max of metro infused food max is enough to eradicate most internal parasites I have run into. On the other hand this fish has endured multiple > 2 week feedings of metro infused food and 10ish doses of general cure, yet the fish is still carrying the parasite. The only change from those previous attempts at curing to this one, is the addition of the mag sulfate via Hex Shield. I will keep you all updated to the fishes progress over the coming weeks. Thank you again everyone for all of your input and help.

OP
OP
abbas.jaffer5

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish did not make it. The store is willing to replace the fish. I have bought a top fin 5g aquarium kit that I will dose cupramine and prazipro when I get the new pair Sunday. In addition to the medication I will feed them hex shield and new life spectrum pellets soaked with general cure. They will be in this qt for 2 weeks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks really may not be long enough for an effective quarantine period. You might want to consider four weeks so you can observe them after treatment and make sure they are not showing any other signs of disease.

+1

OP
OP
abbas.jaffer5

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks really may not be long enough for an effective quarantine period. You might want to consider four weeks so you can observe them after treatment and make sure they are not showing any other signs of disease.

Ok thank you for the tip. The reason why I chose 2 weeks because I read that copper should only be administered for 2 weeks. If I leave them in for 4 weeks, what do I do about the copper? Run it for 4 weeks? Or do a 100% water change after 2 weeks and then just let them stay in there for the next 2 to observe

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for the tip. The reason why I chose 2 weeks because I read that copper should only be administered for 2 weeks. If I leave them in for 4 weeks, what do I do about the copper? Run it for 4 weeks? Or do a 100% water change after 2 weeks and then just let them stay in there for the next 2 to observe
You will want the copper running for 30 days to be effective. Alternatively, you could run copper for 14 days and then transfer the fish (not the water, equipment, etc.) to a fully sterile, new QT. Probably easier just to do the 30 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want the copper running for 30 days to be effective. Alternatively, you could run copper for 14 days and then transfer the fish (not the water, equipment, etc.) to a fully sterile, new QT. Probably easier just to do the 30 days.

+1. You may also consider keeping the fish in the QT for a week after the 30 days of copper to be sure no other problems pop up that need to be addressed before adding him to the display. It would be 5 weeks total, but certainly peace of mind.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humble I am unsure what to do to save this little guy. I followed the treatment feeding the hex shield to him twice a day for 45 days and he appeared to finally be on the mend. But over the past few days it has returned with vengeance. He's back to pooping long white poop, looks bloated, has regained the holes in his head down the lateral line, his slime coat is discolored and refuses to eat anything medicated. All other fish are fine and displaying no symptoms. I am out of treatment options after 3 quarantines treating with praziquantel and metro along with multiple extended oral treatments of metro. I unfortunately could not get him to ever touch prazi bound to any food (tried about 10 pellets, lrs reef frenzy, Mysis, calinus etc.) and now he won't even eat the hex shield, luckily he is still eating non treated pellets and reef frenzy. But I digress, just wanted to report back on this failure with the extended metro/mag sulphate treatment. Unless a new treatment has arisen I am done treating the little guy. Sad to see the clown strung along for so long I'm kind of in shock none of these treatments worked :/

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back