Not sure what this is! New to salt

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to salt water tanks(picked my first up last week) along with a bunch of live rock, corals, a pair of fish, and a shrimp! Local salt water store hooked me up with everything I need to get running. The issue I have is a couple days ago I noticed this thing and it has been growing, and moving, over the last couple days and I'm not sure if it's safe or not! Please help

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the picture that didn't upload the first time

0120171953.jpg

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptiasia or glass anemone, want to try and get rid of, I have used a syringe with vinegar to remove or you can use kalk (being new you might not know what that is) There are fish that you can get to remove it as well but wouldn't recommend it.

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, im talking about the brown "octopus worm" im going to call it, not the mushrooms on the rock, I have quiet a few of those, and figured they were harmless. all of this came on that 1 piece of rock, ive seen videos of people using syringes to inject lemon juice to kill off unwanted critters. Is this what i have to do?

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh, googling aptasia brings up some good pictures to compare it too, that is indeed what it is. Ive looked for 2 days trying to find this myself before i posted on a forum asking a question thats probably been asked 100 times before

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually pick my rock out of the water. Then super glue him to the rock (he will retract so basically you are sealing him closed). Usually if you do that the superglue will always show on the rock FYI.

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is infested with aptiasia, I got some peppermint shrimp and they are getting rid of them now.
I tried aptiasia x before but didn't have much success with it

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a choise between 2 peppermints, or the shrimp i got (i forgot the name) but he was ugly, so i decided to get him instead haha,

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best and easiest way of getting this out of my tank now? i DO have some syringes laying around the house that are unused. and have access to some vinegar

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a choise between 2 peppermints, or the shrimp i got (i forgot the name) but he was ugly, so i decided to get him instead haha,
Lol I did the same thing at first but now I noticed that the one shrimp I got eat or killed some of the peppermint shrimp :oops:

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I did the same thing at first but now I noticed that the one shrimp I got eat or killed some of the peppermint shrimp :oops:
i also have 2 clowns, when i first put them together the shrimp chased them around and tried grabbing them. so i watched them close, But now they mind there own

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh shoot, i thought i had some but i dont! and walgreens will be closed by the time i got there, Any other methods i can use?

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your ok to wait a day to get some, I have left some in my tank for weeks they don't spread that quick unless you mess with them

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh, found one, stuck it in the base of the little guy and squeezed, He dissapered for now, will check it before going to bed, and after waking up! i wanted to get it done tonight because i plan on doing a water change tomorrow, or sunday

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, either i didnt kill it and this thing spreads like crazy, or i had more. i was inspecting the rock where it used to be for signs of life, and noticed 3 more behind it that i didnt notice before :(

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea makes an aptiasia remover that works really well killed all of my aptiasia

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back