nudis killing zoas, need quarantine ideas

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to deal with this by pulling all of my Zoanthids out and then dipping them, but I don't have a quarantine tank set up and don't feel like doing this every... however many days until the outbreak subsides.

I'd love to hear your opinions on purchasing and setting up a ~20 gallon quarantine tank: equipment recommendations, strategy, everything.

and please save me money LOL

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already mentioned your options.
QT and dip every 5 days.
Pretty sure you can treat the tank with interceptor for a three week period.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses will help but this is one of those things you’ve just gotta grit your teeth and do it.

lzrlvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the article about nudibranchs and zoas in the reef hobbyist magazine written by josue matias it may help you.second quarter 2018/volume 12

D9E65904-64D5-4FEC-923E-49DDCDBA570C.jpeg

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the infected tank? Dipping will not kill the eggs.
I had great results by getting a yellow coris wrasse and manual removal with a turkey baster. They are easy to see once you know what you are looking for. Not fun, but there are worse things that can happen.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the infected tank? Dipping will not kill the eggs.
I had great results by getting a yellow coris wrasse and manual removal with a turkey baster. They are easy to see once you know what you are looking for. Not fun, but there are worse things that can happen.
Yes for sure! At least it’s not spiders. In my opinion the nudis are much easier to kill off than other things you could be dealing with. Either way I’m sorry you’re going through this. The biggest part of killing these off in my experience is staying on top of dipping often enough that when the eggs do hatch you have a high possibility of killing them before they can reproduce... definitely will need to pull them and any other zoas/palys in your tank and treat them all the same even if you don’t think the other colonies have the nudis yet.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read Flat Worm Exit will work on nudis. If you’re looking for chemical treatment. I had a issue with these months back and after pulling the large ones I could find, I moved the Zoas to frag racks or plastic shower/ tub soap holders. I’d mix up some dip and then could pull out all Z P much easier. However if your polyps are grown into large rocks, like 1/4 or so of mine were, then you’ll have to find a chemical treatment or natural predator. I went with a yellow coris and a pink skunk wrasse (6 line wrasse without the lines). Both a very active fish and when my new set up is ready I’ll certainly have both of these fish on the fish list for that tank as well. I haven’t seen any evidence of nudis or anything that seemingly bothering my polyps since adding these fish.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the suggestions. I set up a 24 gallon quarantine tank and I already have a Wrasse. He's been munching away at the rocks and so has my Coral Beauty Angel. Apparently, though, it wasn't enough. I also have a Mandarin goby eating at the rocks (just going for copepods?)

regarding dipping, thanks. I know I'll have to dip them multiple times and for the time being, I've placed them into the quarantine tank. How many times should you repeat dip them? It's very difficult to see all the eggs and nudis.

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to deal with this by pulling all of my Zoanthids out and then dipping them, but I don't have a quarantine tank set up and don't feel like doing this every... however many days until the outbreak subsides.

I'd love to hear your opinions on purchasing and setting up a ~20 gallon quarantine tank: equipment recommendations, strategy, everything.

and please save me money LOL
Get nudis that eat other nudis and you’ll never have to worry.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back