Nutrients To Low?

Beausoleiljacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really starting to wish I didn't switch over to AquaForest's Probiotic Salt, everything was doing great until I switched. Now, stuff is STNing, having awful polyp extension, dying off etc. I'm not sure what to do, I'm starting to think it's the low nutrient levels of the system. My alkalinity may be the problem, I have slowly been dropping it so It is closer to 7.7 or so. Its around 8.2 Calcium is 420, Phosphate reads 0 and so does nitrate. I have also stopped replacing GFO and have been feeding the corals more often to increase nutrient levels. Please Help before I lose my whole tank over this.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually having the same issue. Most sps I had was very pale. I had undetectable nitrate and phosphate was .028ppm. I began dosing potassium nitrate and didn't realize that as I increased my nitrate to 5ppm my phosphate would plummet to .012ppm. SPS all began showing stress and have had 1 colony begin stn. I have ordered two different brands of phosphate to dose.
Being that you are with the same low nutrients I have been suffering from I caution you to make sure you dose for a balanced split of nitrate and phosphate. This is where I messed up and made the issues worse.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really starting to wish I didn't switch over to AquaForest's Probiotic Salt, everything was doing great until I switched. Now, stuff is STNing, having awful polyp extension, dying off etc. I'm not sure what to do, I'm starting to think it's the low nutrient levels of the system. My alkalinity may be the problem, I have slowly been dropping it so It is closer to 7.7 or so. Its around 8.2 Calcium is 420, Phosphate reads 0 and so does nitrate. I have also stopped replacing GFO and have been feeding the corals more often to increase nutrient levels. Please Help before I lose my whole tank over this.
What were you using before?

What nutrient did your old slat have that AF doesn't? I know it has lower alk than some.

OP
OP
Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually having the same issue. Most sps I had was very pale. I had undetectable nitrate and phosphate was .028ppm. I began dosing potassium nitrate and didn't realize that as I increased my nitrate to 5ppm my phosphate would plummet to .012ppm. SPS all began showing stress and have had 1 colony begin stn. I have ordered two different brands of phosphate to dose.
Being that you are with the same low nutrients I have been suffering from I caution you to make sure you dose for a balanced split of nitrate and phosphate. This is where I messed up and made the issues worse.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem! I'm not sure what to do! All I have done is increase feeding.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem! I'm not sure what to do! All I have done is increase feeding.

I would keep the DKH stable where it is currently at. Maintain your coral feedings and address the low nitrate and potassium issue.
I will receive my potassium supplements tomorrow and begin dosing. I will let you know if I get this issue figured out and give you my parameters.
I do not use the same salt as you but keep my nutrients low with zeovit system.

OP
OP
Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the DKH stable where it is currently at. Maintain your coral feedings and address the low nitrate and potassium issue.
I will receive my potassium supplements tomorrow and begin dosing. I will let you know if I get this issue figured out and give you my parameters.
I do not use the same salt as you but keep my nutrients low with zeovit system.

I have been talking to everyone on the AquaForest Thread and they have just advised me to switch salts.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 people have told me they have had the same problem with the salt having mass die off due to switching and then after switching to a salt they had no problems.

Makes sense as the salt is designed to reduce nutrient levels (nitrate and phosphate).

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue happens with all brands of salt. I just did a 50 gal water chance in a 1200 gallon system with some sps not happy and lost a gigantean anemone. I try and follow triton with a twist. I run a calcium reactor and run a algae scrubber instead of a refugium , I send out test and try not to do water changes this issue happens to often. Back to no water changes for me tank looked better before chancing water . hope this helps .

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tried the aquaforest additives my tank started dying overnight. I have pictures of the progress on a different website. I went back to the basics of just feeding and water changes and things never looked better.

OP
OP
Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue happens with all brands of salt. I just did a 50 gal water chance in a 1200 gallon system with some sps not happy and lost a gigantean anemone. I try and follow triton with a twist. I run a calcium reactor and run a algae scrubber instead of a refugium , I send out test and try not to do water changes this issue happens to often. Back to no water changes for me tank looked better before chancing water . hope this helps .

So you are saying wait it out?

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using fritz salt. Don't have a answer to why this happens . Every time we do a water change we are changing the stability of the tank. This is why Triton doesn't do water changes. I was siphoning out detritus and changed only 50 gal in a 1200 gallon system. One wouldn't think this could happen but it did.

Back