Octopus 150 Classic

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This skimmer came with a setup i bought and i was working great when i picked it up. Now im having trouble getting it tuned in just right. I have it set at the correct water level as well. Any advise?

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the venturi where the air hose goes into the pump, make sure it's not clogged up with salt creep. If it looks good, I'd pull the impeller out of the pump and make sure the needle wheel isn't all gunked up. And lastly I would run the pump in a vinegar bath for a couple hours (or the whole skimmer if you have something you can put it in). I usually do 50/50 vinegar to water.

Is the skimmer overflowing or just not producing a good foam head?

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i read about the vinagar, im going to pick some up tomm and fully disassemble is i suppose. At first it was just filling up with water as soon as you plugged it in. Then i kept messing with it and now i got if making the bubbles without over flowing but the way its making bubbles its like the bubbles are popping against the lid a dripping water into the collection cup if you follow what im saying lol. The cup is almost full after 1 day.

OP
OP
M

mlaneusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i took it all apart and cleaned it in a bucket with vinegar. Looks new now lol but i still not sure about it. Gonna let it run for a couple days i guess. Idk how to really know what im doing to tune it in just right or where the bubbles should be.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first turn it on, run the internal water level right where the cup attaches to the body, make small adjustments from there. If it is overflowing open the gate valve like a half turn at a time until it stops. After a week if you aren't producing any skim, close the vale a half turn, wait a couple days. If still nothing, close another half turn etc etc.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also ran mine without the collection cup for a few days trying to keep it bubbling right at the top of the cone, then put the chip back on and is very close to where I want it I tweak it from there. I read that some where and it worked for me

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back