Odd findings on zoa?

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to corals, and I just recently bought a shell from a LFS that's covered in button polyps (from what I've been told) and a few other things on it that I'm trying to identify. I just noticed tonight two small balls on the shell? One is fully white, and the other has a bit of black in it. Both are covered in bumps and have what look like spikes. The other hitchhiker is small and closes up like my button polyps, but has tentacles almost and is green. Could someone help me figure out what these are? Thanks!

20170208_220555.jpg

20170206_173411.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've definitely got a couple of little sponges there - they're cool, and not a problem unless they start to smother your zoas. Don't expose them to air - if it gets trapped inside them, they're in big trouble . . .

The green guy hiding behind the sponge is a different story ... without a better look at him, it could be a mojano anemone. They're one of the better-looking pest anemones, but still considered a pest by most.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Faygoaddict

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've definitely got a couple of little sponges there - they're cool, and not a problem unless they start to smother your zoas. Don't expose them to air - if it gets trapped inside them, they're in big trouble . . .

The green guy hiding behind the sponge is a different story ... without a better look at him, it could be a mojano anemone. They're one of the better-looking pest anemones, but still considered a pest by most.

~Bruce
Is there anything I need to do for the sponges? The little green one is hiding at the moment, so I'll try to upload a better picture asap!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are filter-feeders, so supplementing with fine-grained (okay, microscopic!) floating food will help them. The challenge is to have some of that floating in your tank without raising your nutrient levels too high!

~Bruce

AndrewShields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off i would just dip every coral i got, before i put it in my tank. i have been in this hobby for 3 years now, and i have literally broken down systems because of not dipping. get coral Rx or get Bayer complete insect killer ( a lot cheaper, and can get at lowes or any home improvement store). Bayer is a lot more genital then coral rx, when you dip with bayer the mixture should be for every 1 ounce of saltwater add 1.5 ml of bayer. mix for 15 mins then have a clean saltwater dip for another 15 mins. I hope this helps you

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pest anemone much like Aiptasia, just a prettier pest anemone. In the right environment Majano quickly spread and take over valuable coral real estate.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the frag out, the zoanthids will close, use a sharp medal tool and scrap the anemone off, pat dry the plug and apply a thick mixture of kalk paste with a Q-tip to the area the anemone was located. Avoid getting the paste on the zoanthids, avoid scraping or cutting the zoanthids. Let the frag sit out for a few minutes, rinse in display water (separate container) or sw and return to tank.

OP
OP
Faygoaddict

Faygoaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the frag out, the zoanthids will close, use a sharp medal tool and scrap the anemone off, pat dry the plug and apply a thick mixture of kalk paste with a Q-tip to the area the anemone was located. Avoid getting the paste on the zoanthids, avoid scraping or cutting the zoanthids. Let the frag sit out for a few minutes, rinse in display water (separate container) or sw and return to tank.
My polyps are on a big shell. Will it still work the same?

AndrewShields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or after you cut the majano off, you can also put coral glue over it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back