Old return pump or New?

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting everything together for my new aquarium and have been out of the hobby for a couple years. I have an Iwaki 40 return pump that i used on my last aquarium and it works flawlessly. I see all the new DC pumps and was wondering if I should go with what i have or switchover to DC model ?

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on Head pressure, money,etc. The newer DC pumps are not as good for a high head pressure compared to an Iwaki - unless you spending $500 plus. However, on the plus side the newer DC pumps are more efficient and often are controllable so you can really tune in the exact amount of flow you looking for without a gate valve that puts back pressure on the pump. How big is your system, how much flow do you want, over what head height are you planning on? Also is it a Japanese or American model Iwaki 40 and which model 40 =

https://www.iwakiamerica.com/Literature/MD_WMD/MD3040.pdf .

as you can see the different models makes huge difference in application.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which model Iwaki ? are you looking to get high flow ( 1200 Plus GPH which is the old 10x the display theory) between the sump and display or not. Also many DC pumps can be used as an internal pump rather than external pump and they have less heat.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you loved it, I'd go with the same. Those are still the gold standard of pump. Iwaki does make a DC drive pump, if interested.

Just down to use-cases, variable speed isn't really something you need for a return pump. So you wouldn't introduce the extra failure points on those grounds. Plus they're wicked expensive for the ones you'd actually want to compare to your Iwaki. Comparing to the DC pumps you typically see come up would be like comparing your Iwaki to a non-name chinese pump! ;) )

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes- I agree with mcarrol - no Chinese DC pump will touch it on performance over time. Some of the Red Dragon pumps might - but hang on to your wallet. If your used to the noise level, external plumbing, etc. then I would use the same pump again.

OP
OP
new_orleans_guy

new_orleans_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Looks like the iwaki is here to stay. Now to find a sump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back