Optimal Parameters for a Coral Reef Aquarium: By Randy Holmes-Farley

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks by the way Rev and Randy. I have read much of this in the past but putting it all in one place is awesome. Some new stuff in there for me too.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're very welcome!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to lower my calcium it's at 600 no wonder my hammers don't grow or feel well.

Elevated calcium (by itself) is not usually a problem for organisms, and most of the time folks can just let it drop on its own over time.

Do you know how it became elevated?

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have our permission just please cite Randy as the author and our site as the source with a link back please! If this was a request for an English speaking site I would decline and just have you link back here. Thanks.
Hi, would like to translate is to Hungarian as well, and post it on our local forum. Of course with link to this page (original article) and obviously citing Randy as the author. Is it ok? Thanks

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is my question for Randy.....I have been battling algae for about 2 months now and do to a being gone for a few weeks in between and a week for MACNA its been an up and down battle. Now that I'm back I have the system 700+ gal running ULNS its been reading 0 NO4 for years but the PO4 has always been an issue ...heavy fish load and I feed them heavy....long story short I was messing with a reactor and allowed the algae to get a foot hold and its all over the rocks.....Corals SPS dominated for a while never looked better lol ....ALK is 10 at the moment and KH is 450 and MAG is 1800 (raised it to combat some of the algae) letting it drop back down presently. The algae is slowly dying off but my corals are now starting to not look as great with color and I did loose 1 nice piece while I was away. I'm figuring this is do to the higher ALK 10 and the ULNS at present....I shut off dosing ALK and KH 3 days ago and it hasn't budged off 10 (hanna ppm) (measure it every night)....I was dosing 1 gal of kalk per day also and didn't shut that off till today ....My question is should I allow the alk to just fall slowly on its own or should I assist it with water changes? Don't want to move it too quick and don't want to tick off the SPS any more either as its now ULNS. I also suspended any coral feeding 2 months ago (fuel, acropower) as I didn't want to fuel the algae growth). I plan on bumping up the clean up crew also when the MAG and ALK are back down. The algae I'm sure will take care of itself with the bumped up clean up crews and ULNS but how would you handle the lowering of the ALK and the starting back up of coral feeding?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, would like to translate is to Hungarian as well, and post it on our local forum. Of course with link to this page (original article) and obviously citing Randy as the author. Is it ok? Thanks

Hello,

Yes it is ok since it is for another language. If it were English we would ask for you to just link back to here. Please include links and site Randy as the author! Thanks.

Girish23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great aritical first i saw your atical on google and then i started to read the reaserch your doning on reef aquarium.
i satrted tank last 3 year but never succed yet but after i read some artical i just feel in feature i have good reef tank succes to me.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great aritical first i saw your atical on google and then i started to read the reaserch your doning on reef aquarium.
i satrted tank last 3 year but never succed yet but after i read some artical i just feel in feature i have good reef tank succes to me.

Thanks very much. I'm glad the articles were helpful.

Happy reefing. :)

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes it is ok since it is for another language. If it were English we would ask for you to just link back to here. Please include links and site Randy as the author! Thanks.

Hi, just to let you know (and to thank Randy again for the fantastic service he is doing for the reefing community), finished the translation and posted it on our hungarian reefing forum:
http://www.korallszirtes-akvarium.hu/kb.php?a=62
http://www.korallszirtes-akvarium.hu/kb.php?a=64

Cheers
Zoli

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Zoli!

It was my pleasure. Could you please recommend 2-3 other articles that's also worth translating (yours or from other authors) that could help a general reefer. I have a feeling that in smaller countries where there is a smaller reefing community, knowledge and information is flowing much slower, therefore this hobby will cost a lot more for the average aquarist. I'm hoping some of these efforts will make this already expensive (thus exclusive), but beautiful hobby more affordable&available for more and more people. Cheers. Zoli

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about salinity.

I have always used the standard plastic hydrometer to check my salinity and gravity. As some of you may know I recently purchased the new Apex and began setting it up this weekend to monitor salinity, temperature and ph. (I have it also monitoring my ORP, but I can tell it is going to take several more encyclopedias to even remotely understand what that is all about???) After calibrating the salinity probe I put it in the sump and after a few moments it reported 40.1. I was convinced I did something wrong so I removed it from the sump and dropped it directly into the display. ... ... 39.9!!!! After being revived from the head injury I sustained passing out, I didn't panic.... I grabbed some water and my old hydrometer and headed to my LFS. We checked my water with his Reef Octopus hydrometer and sure enough it came back at 39.7 and 1.029 specific gravity.

So my question is as I am working to back the salinity down (by removing a gallon of water from the sump and allowing my ATO to replenish with fresh RO/DI) how gradual do I need to be with this? I am shooting to get to 35ppm, but realize that drastically reducing the salinity can have as bad an affect as leaving it at 40. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on what timeline I should be shooting for to get my salinity back to 35?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea’s research into the long term physiological demands of SPS, LPS & Soft Corals in the reef aquarium has shown that enhanced coloration and accelerated growth require significantly different water conditions.

Just like their Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, when mixed at 1.025 SG, it brings the Alk to 11.8 - 12.2 dKH, which Sharon Ram (Chief Scientist @ Red Sea) claimed a level that is good for accelerated coral growth.

gu79zvY.jpg

What's your take on this elevated Alk @ 12.6 dKH? Have you had experience in the past raising it and maintaining the level of Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) accelerates the growth of coral? or on contrary, some folks mentioned that they've experienced RTN or burnt tips?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back