OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea’s research into the long term physiological demands of SPS, LPS & Soft Corals in the reef aquarium has shown that enhanced coloration and accelerated growth require significantly different water conditions.

Just like their Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, when mixed at 1.025 SG, it brings the Alk to 11.8 - 12.2 dKH, which Sharon Ram (Chief Scientist @ Red Sea) claimed a level that is good for accelerated coral growth.

What's your take on this elevated Alk @ 12.6 dKH? Have you had experience in the past raising it and maintaining the level of Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) accelerates the growth of coral? or on contrary, some folks mentioned that they've experienced RTN or burnt tips?

Discussed here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...level-12-dkh-accelerated-coral-growth.273120/

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about salinity.

I have always used the standard plastic hydrometer to check my salinity and gravity. As some of you may know I recently purchased the new Apex and began setting it up this weekend to monitor salinity, temperature and ph. (I have it also monitoring my ORP, but I can tell it is going to take several more encyclopedias to even remotely understand what that is all about???) After calibrating the salinity probe I put it in the sump and after a few moments it reported 40.1. I was convinced I did something wrong so I removed it from the sump and dropped it directly into the display. ... ... 39.9!!!! After being revived from the head injury I sustained passing out, I didn't panic.... I grabbed some water and my old hydrometer and headed to my LFS. We checked my water with his Reef Octopus hydrometer and sure enough it came back at 39.7 and 1.029 specific gravity.

So my question is as I am working to back the salinity down (by removing a gallon of water from the sump and allowing my ATO to replenish with fresh RO/DI) how gradual do I need to be with this? I am shooting to get to 35ppm, but realize that drastically reducing the salinity can have as bad an affect as leaving it at 40. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on what timeline I should be shooting for to get my salinity back to 35?

I'd would replace 1-2% of the tank water daily. Salinity would reach 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) from 40 ppt in 1 or 2 weeks that way.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my pleasure. Could you please recommend 2-3 other articles that's also worth translating (yours or from other authors) that could help a general reefer. I have a feeling that in smaller countries where there is a smaller reefing community, knowledge and information is flowing much slower, therefore this hobby will cost a lot more for the average aquarist. I'm hoping some of these efforts will make this already expensive (thus exclusive), but beautiful hobby more affordable&available for more and more people. Cheers. Zoli

I list many of them here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/randys-reef-chemistry-articles.174821/

I'd just be sure they are among the newer ones. :)

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I changed my aquascape it caused my nitrates to spike to 75ppm. I dosed nopox and it's now down to 10ppm, phosphates are at .03. How low should I take nitrates?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I changed my aquascape it caused my nitrates to spike to 75ppm. I dosed nopox and it's now down to 10ppm, phosphates are at .03. How low should I take nitrates?

I'd aim for very roughly 2 ppm. :)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley can you please give me a quick pointer on the sequence of dosing Mg, Alk, Ca & Carbon (NoPox)?

From memory (it's been few months since I dose), the sequence is:
  1. Carbon (NoPox)
  2. Mg
  3. Alk
  4. Ca
Also, from memory, it's good to dose Carbon (NoPox) at night time when the light is off?

Is there good time to dose Mg, Alk & Ca or anytime is good time as long as the sequence is followed?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley can you please give me a quick pointer on the sequence of dosing Mg, Alk, Ca & Carbon (NoPox)?

From memory (it's been few months since I dose), the sequence is:
  1. Carbon (NoPox)
  2. Mg
  3. Alk
  4. Ca
Also, from memory, it's good to dose Carbon (NoPox) at night time when the light is off?

Is there good time to dose Mg, Alk & Ca or anytime is good time as long as the sequence is followed?

I would dose organic carbon in the early part of the light cycle because it consumes O2 and reduces pH. I dosed my organics by dosing pump over most of the lit day, heave on the late AM to early afternoon.

Order of the others does not matter unless magnesium is very low, in which case I'd bring it up first.

Space out the alk by at least a few minutes from calcium or magnesium so it spreads out before encountering a concentrated cloud of the others.

Hernan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear @Randy Holmes-Farley with your permission, authorization and in your name, of corse, I would like to translate your article for the Spanish language and post it on my blog for marine aquarists of Costa Rica. I will share with you the translation and link if you agree.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear @Randy Holmes-Farley with your permission, authorization and in your name, of corse, I would like to translate your article for the Spanish language and post it on my blog for marine aquarists of Costa Rica. I will share with you the translation and link if you agree.

Please do but as you said credit Randy and Reef2Reef with a link to the original article here! Thanks! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

blesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect , one think vhot is the best time to measure morning , midd afternoon or evening .

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect , one think vhot is the best time to measure morning , midd afternoon or evening .

You can measure parameters any time you want. A few such as pH and O2 and ORP change by time of day and you need to take that into account in how you interpret it. Most just drop from one dose to the next.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back