Organics and dinoflagellates

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
So ive noticed a trend in my tank. Every time my sump gets full of detritus as the picture shows, long stringy dinos begin to grow in the display.

After i clean it out, the dinos disappear. Its become so predictable that im sure its a cause.

Anyone noticed this? Is there any science behind this?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't the dino's it would be something else though. Just happens they are the lucky critter in your system on the tipping point of a bloom.

I think it's a more general sign that the system's nitrogen cycle is fully loaded...the extra detritus between cleanings is all it takes to tip the balance. Once there's excess nitrogen (prolly other nutrients as well) in the system, something in the tank's microbial food web will sooner or later take advantage of it.

Result: bloom of something! :)

How has the tank's overall stability been over the last 6 months or so? And how old is it?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is good I think. Po4 ranges from 0- .13ppm. No3 is always undetected. I have an algae turf scrubber. I dont use a skimmer because it broke months ago. Alkalinity previously was maintained at 8ish dkh. So pretty stable besides po4 being my only concern sometimes. Tank is about 8 months iirc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos (if that is what they are) might be there due to elevated inorganic nutrients, or organics, which some dinos can consume.

There are many different dinos with different means of getting energy. Some are photosynthetic and some not. Some prey on other organisms, and some do not. etc.

It is certainly true that photosynthetic dinos need N and P and probably get it from inorganic nutrients, and it is also known that some take up organics such as acetate.

FWIW, I have a thick mud in my sump since I have not cleaned it out for many years. But no dinos there. A few sponges and vermitid snails, but not much else I recognize.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting that it appears the scrubber is maintaining your No3 but not the Po4.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it may relate to the relative amounts of N and P in his foods relative to the turf algae, but it may be in part due to other means of nitrate reduction which do not exist for phosphate, such as denitrification in live rock or sand. :)

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got sand, and i think it contributes to no3 reduction at the expense of reduced po4 reduction of the ats.

Do organics degrade and release acetate Randy?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what about my ro unit, its got 2ppm tds, is acetate coming through?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it may relate to the relative amounts of N and P in his foods relative to the turf algae, but it may be in part due to other means of nitrate reduction which do not exist for phosphate, such as denitrification in live rock or sand. :)

Totally over looked that. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got sand, and i think it contributes to no3 reduction at the expense of reduced po4 reduction of the ats.

Do organics degrade and release acetate Randy?

Yes, acetate is a decomposition product of some organics being broken down. It too breaks down. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what about my ro unit, its got 2ppm tds, is acetate coming through?

Very unlikely. All organics are pretty big relative to water (except methane) and so would be rejected by the RO membrane and are not in tap water are high concentrations to begin with.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back