Orphek Users! What are your settings?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals, I just got my Orphek Atlantik Compact v3+ fixtures in the mail yesterday! My tank is going to be an SPS dominated mixed reef. I was wondering what you all use for your light schedules. Do you run one of the preloaded programs, or a custom one? Please share your lighting schedule and a photo or two of your tank. Thanks for the assist!

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It 24" deep minus 1 1/2" if sand looking at about 22" to the sand bed. Lights are hung 12" from waters surface.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I also have the Atlantic V3+ and have owned it for about 4 weeks now. Came from MH'S with leds (kessils) and couldn't be happier with the orphek's.

Awesome light to say the least. I measured par with these things and the main thing is to be careful not to cook the corals, they are par monsters.

I run the "acclimation mode" with a 5% increase on each channel. I feel for my tank a 57 gal (36/18/20") it is a lot of light already. I'm building a 150 gal (60/24/24") and am getting a second unit. I will probably up intensity then but for now I'll probably stick with acclimation as regular setting as it is already showing great color and growth in only a month running it

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I also have the Atlantic V3+ and have owned it for about 4 weeks now. Came from MH'S with leds (kessils) and couldn't be happier with the orphek's.

Awesome light to say the least. I measured par with these things and the main thing is to be careful not to cook the corals, they are par monsters.

I run the "acclimation mode" with a 5% increase on each channel. I feel for my tank a 57 gal (36/18/20") it is a lot of light already. I'm building a 150 gal (60/24/24") and am getting a second unit. I will probably up intensity then but for now I'll probably stick with acclimation as regular setting as it is already showing great color and growth in only a month running it
I need to schedule a par reading with my LFS. They don't rent it out but will come to location for a charge of $45 and do readings for you. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'm sure my tank is getting blasted right now. Full intensity hours 12-5 100% on channel 1 & 2. But there are only a couple snails in the tank right now. I do want to start ordering and buying some corals so I will need to get this done soon.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1475328878.943598.jpg

IMG_1475328909.892237.jpg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for several months. Have done so well on acclimation mode that I have just left it on. Love the lights!
I also have left the "acclimation mode" as setting permanently since it already is long, with some channels at 9hrs/day. I just upped the channels 3,4 by maybe 10%. Corals are growing really well, color has improved from Mh's. Other leds look like a joke compared to Atlantiks.

Last edited:

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imp
I also have left the "acclimation mode" as setting permanently since it already is long, with some channels at 9hrs/day. I just upped the channels 3,4 by maybe 10%. Corals are growing really well, color has improved from Mh's. Other leds look like a joke compared to Atlantiks.

Impressive. Very nice display. How long have you been running these lights? I am starting to lean very heavily to the V3 plus.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running the acclimation mode. After I had my par levels checked I went back to my custom setting. It's based off of the color and growth, and the acclimation programs. I tweaked the hours a bit, dropped the intensity on channel 4 down and bumped the intensity up on 2 and 3. I'm now getting par readings in the 300s on my islands and 150s on the sand bed.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI fragit, just checking in to see if you have any updates changes you've learned or experiences with the Orphek's. Been running the V3's for a while now and releized they are not set up similarly as say a AI or Radion where most drop down the white channels which was doing. Thanks in advanced.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI fragit, just checking in to see if you have any updates changes you've learned or experiences with the Orphek's. Been running the V3's for a while now and releized they are not set up similarly as say a AI or Radion where most drop down the white channels which was doing. Thanks in advanced.

Hey Brad, so I think I mentioned that I had been running a custom setting. After having my par levels checked I discovered that I could lower the fixtures. They now hang about 10" from the waterline. All corals seem to be responding well and growing really well. Over the weekend I decide to make a small change in my settings. I'm experimenting with the color setting. They have a preset called coral color that I'm now emulating in my custom setting. My setting at peak which is 5 hours are channel 1(white) 80%, channel 2(actinic) 100%, channel 3(UV) 70%, and channel 4(blue and red) 80%. I feel like after just a few days the colors are more saturated and vibrant. Does that help? How are you running yours?

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fragit, been experimenting to as always with any leds ;-) Its tricky since im picking on what it looks like during the day so i added 5 kessil a160's so i get the blue look. Was running ch1 at 75% ch2 40% ch1 75% and ch4 40% for a few months but it was just to blue looking (i'm not a fan of the sky blue channel, I'd rather have the AI blue which is much deeper looking) , also only ran the white channels ch 1 and ch 4 for 3 hours which I don't think made the coral's polyp's come as as much during the day.

Currently switched over to a new setting and going to running all channels at 55% for 7hours with 1hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. Personally i don't like the look but the corals seem to do, so using the kessil's to accent the difference which seems to make it worth it. Par is 200-250 in the middle of the tank. According to Orphek the white channels are 20k even though they don't look it to the human eye. Not sure how true this is but i'm going with it and will report back how 7 hours of all even intensity does regarding growth and color.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with the colors overall. I agree with you about the white not being 20K. If you go under the quick setting and then select list there are some settings there too. One of which is 20K which looks totally different. Let me know how things change with your new schedule.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with the colors overall. I agree with you about the white not being 20K. If you go under the quick setting and then select list there are some settings there too. One of which is 20K which looks totally different. Let me know how things change with your new schedule.

The led's they seem to use look different then any others on the market, when they are on you can see strains of color around some of the led's, strange. Anyway its interested to see others are running 100% full on all channels with great results. Do believe the white channels may be key to success though everyone wants a blue tank ;-)

Back