OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason, sorry if you've answered this somewhere in this thread already...how do you like this scope? It's a nice price point. Would you recommend it? How about for fish disease identification? Skin scrapings/dissection? Maybe too powerful for dissection...

Stereo microscope is much more appropriate for dissection unless doing thin cell slices. Scraping for fish disease it would be perfect. For the price its a good scope. Its the software and top mounted camera I like best. I can still look througg the eye pieces and upgrade the camera to what ever I want which is a big benefit.

The software though has been awesome and makes up for not having phase contrast lenses a bit. I'd still like to get a nice set of phase contrast lenses though. With the software I can close down the iris to where there's no way I can see anything through eye pieces but through the software can increase the exposure a lot and see everything. Closing off the iris really brings out the contrast and then the software itself can then boost the contrast and brightness some more.

Like here. Turning up the contrast with the software really brings out the bacteria between these two pictures.

Hair_Algae_Above_Pump2-0054 by Jason, on Flickr

Hair_Algae_Above_Pump2-0055 by Jason, on Flickr

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stereo microscope is much more appropriate for dissection unless doing thin cell slices. Scraping for fish disease it would be perfect. For the price its a good scope. Its the software and top mounted camera I like best. I can still look througg the eye pieces and upgrade the camera to what ever I want which is a big benefit.

The software though has been awesome and makes up for not having phase contrast lenses a bit. I'd still like to get a nice set of phase contrast lenses though. With the software I can close down the iris to where there's no way I can see anything through eye pieces but through the software can increase the exposure a lot and see everything. Closing off the iris really brings out the contrast and then the software itself can then boost the contrast and brightness some more.

Like here. Turning up the contrast with the software really brings out the bacteria between these two pictures.

Hair_Algae_Above_Pump2-0054 by Jason, on Flickr

Hair_Algae_Above_Pump2-0055 by Jason, on Flickr

Great, thank you! I'm not sure what "phase contrast lenses" are, but I will look into this. What type of camera is it? Is it a standard camera that I could mount on there? It doesn't look like it in the pics though. Maybe I could spend money smarter if I use my own camera that I already have, and upgrade the lenses or something?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you! I'm not sure what "phase contrast lenses" are, but I will look into this. What type of camera is it? Is it a standard camera that I could mount on there? It doesn't look like it in the pics though. Maybe I could spend money smarter if I use my own camera that I already have, and upgrade the lenses or something?
You could get a camera T mount or even a smart phone camera mount. The camera I got on there is a specific kind made for the microscope

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a camera T mount or even a smart phone camera mount. The camera I got on there is a specific kind made for the microscope

Ok, that's what I'm looking at too. I'll see if I can find it without the camera.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice pictures, I love looking-glass at them. That amoeba is so cool, great find! Thank you for sharing. This has inspired me to purchase the microscope you suggested

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason, is it possible to measure objects with this software?
Supposed to be able to. I haven't done it yet. It came with a calibration slide too which I reference when guessing sizes based on lens used.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some fresh pineapple
59d97e2ac5a655623186496534de101e.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stereo scope would be better at that. I am having to use a concave slide as they are to thick otherwise for a standard slide and cover slip
No luck in slicing one? Scalpel or exacto?.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back