our zoanthid dominated island waterfall

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing as usual but I was wondering if you have any kind of challenges with having the rock exposed specifically the areas that don't get wet and how is the noise? Again very beautiful tank

OP
OP
R

reefwars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing as usual but I was wondering if you have any kind of challenges with having the rock exposed specifically the areas that don't get wet and how is the noise? Again very beautiful tank

Thanks for the compliments it's about time for an update anyways :)

So far we've had no issues with the rock being exposed , I realized that it doesn't take much water to grow Coraline and the rock everywhere both in and out of tank is purple there's a few white spots left. It doesn't smell I have people over to see the tank a lot and I always ask if anyone smells it so far the verdict is good:)

Noise from the tank itself is silent it was designed that way although the loudest part of the system is the jebao dct1200 it by far is the loudest and the only thing that makes any noise lol

I have recently had both my gfo and carbon reactors clog and we were getting some cyano but with a quick net mod to the tlf it's now almost impossible to clog and cyano disappeared as soon as they were back online.

We have increased our vinegar dose by 10mls a day and so far do good.

Have a mystery on our hands , shrimps are disappearing exoskeleton and all , it's either the pistol shrimp doing it or the Scott's fairy wrasse , the missing shrimp are small like sexy shrimp, anemone shrimps and a single small cleaner shrimp. The wrasse I've been watching like a hawk and it doesn't seem like he's interested at all in them but the pistol is elusive and is never seen only heard lol it's one of those two for sure

We added a cool little goby , a flaming prawn goby he's cryptic and isn't out much and about 1/4" to 1/2" in size , he has found the fire shrimp and lives side by side just doesn't come into the light so I have a crappy video I managed to take but does show him as well we took some pics in a white dish before adding him to the tank :)

Still having an issue with all the shrimps in the system picking at the clams , the wrasse works great at night but he's a 9 to 5 fish and night is when play time begins so its Time to find a night time worker :)

Finally lost the large blue maxima clam , after several fresh water dips for pinched mantle he would look ok then not the next week , the shrimps picked him to a stress point when I finally pulled it you can tell when it's time :(

Mot much room for corals anymore but We added some more dendro colonies to the dark area where the clam was sitting as well I've been adding some zoas around top and here and there :)

Wll post an up to date video tomorrow as well some fts pics we took :)

Cheers

Denny and Ruth

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any new updates on this beautiful tank? I'd love to see an updated FTS!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
R

reefwars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

it's def been a while and the tank has seen some changes we decided beginning of summer to go full zoanthid and mushroom dominant (josh should like this better heheh) with some cloves mixed in so we sold or traded off most our lps and sps and added a bunch more zoas and shrooms :)

We had to shut the waterfall off on the left side as it developed a pin hole size leak where the saltwater ate through the mortar and soaked into the foam so I chased the leak for a while but eventually said I'll shut it off and fix it later so it's been dry all summer but our island is still running it's rivers and pools :)

Tank seen its summer lazys like all but last week I spent some time fixing it up so we took a little video now that summer is winding down we will update more often and get better pics as well I still have many more zoanthids and shrooms to add but I'm doing it slowly polyp by polyp lol

Enjoy a quick video I took yesterday on my phone :)

Cheers

Denny and Ruth

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back