Out of the flood,resurrection of my 650 gallon system

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about one week short of 2 years since disaster struck.This is of course a whole other story.

IMG_1195_zpss6ibpx19.jpg

IMG_1197_zpsysau9jnh.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsz3oic73f.jpg

I just took delivery of a new custom built tank from AGE (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits) out of Garland Texas.
IMG_0112_zpsqlrnbwv1.jpg

IMG_0113_zpspdd8vqfw.jpg

First off it is an awesome tank well built and very nicely put together. Doing business with them was effortless and an absolute pleasure. The tank was shipped to California where I had to pick it up, as too big for a home delivery. I arranged to pick it up on a Friday and had a bunch of guys from the club (SCMAS) come over on the Saturday to help get it into the house.
IMG_0116_zpsapjx9z7i.jpg

A huge thanks to the people that came to help as well as the guys who kindly lent me their professional glass suction cups.
Tank was well crated in a really heavy duty pallet structure. The truck was about two inches higher than the stand and after lifting it off of the pallet onto the truck bed it was really not difficult to get it onto the stand. The tank is really heavy as it is 96”x36”x30”, 450 gallons of ¾” Starfire glass and a 1” PVC base. The steel stand was mounted and zip tied to a few furniture dollies and was taken into the house and set in place with really very little effort.
IMG_0115_zps3jwmuwur.jpg

Now of course the fun begins....plumbing,new pumps,Oceans Motion and so it goes.
I hope I as well as those who are going to follow (or is that wishful thinking) will find this useful

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch!!!

But glad to see you are undeterred!

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tanks were all plumbed through the wall to a 17ft cabinet outside. As I decided to do a close loop on this tank I did not want any pumps inside as the wife’s stipulation is no noise inside. I opened up the wall a little more and constructed a board with bulkheads that allows the plumbing to look as neat as can be to go from main display into sump.

Last weekend I started the inside plumbing and just about completed roughing it in, a few little tweaks and changes should have it complete. The overflow box is 20” long from Synergy reef, really well made and unobtrusive I am a fan, without the huge overflow box in the tank it leaves everything wide open.

IMG_01551_zpsttwek5eo.jpg

IMG_01591_zpsq5ylkwpi.jpg

IMG_01531_zps9w8yc8qj.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my! You must have an awesome wife to let you bring another big tank in the house after that disaster. Tagging along to watch this one come to life. I am sure it will be awesome!
Smiley31-1_zps2i0fiue9.gif

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front silicone seam came loose. As we are in litigation I don't want to really discuss it on an open forum.

Yes my wife is awesome.As I was not getting many responses on this forum I have it up on another,but would be glad to post here as well. Stand by.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finished the plumbing
I have since taken out the Deepwater pumps as I spoke to the rep at RAP Orlando and he said he would not recommend running them out of the water. The one for the closed loop I wanted more controlability so that it would not run full blast at all times. The build is going pretty slow at the moment as the rock work around the closed loops in the tank is a little more challenging than anticipated.My wife who is the chief architect is way more fussy than I am,so I am dealing with that.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case insurance only covered damage to the house, no tank,equipment,cabinetry livestock nada.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How had the glass of wine in the first post. I would have had some much stronger. This is going to be the Phoenix build:)

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing you getting back into the game, and I really like the tank size.

I always show my wife my "dream builds" but I may not show her the first post... That might be pushing my luck a little bit.

Is your outside room right up against the wall, or how far a run is it for the pumps? I really like the neat wall panel with all the bulkheads!

Following along!

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following this one! Sorry to hear about the prior tank, I would cry, lol keep up the good work. I couldn't imagine this happening, glad to see you kept on trucking and even went bigger.

Salt-Lick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's crazy. Glad to see you back at it. Great wifey for sure! Mine would never allow me to have another tank.

Back