Out of the flood,resurrection of my 650 gallon system

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about one week short of 2 years since disaster struck.This is of course a whole other story.

IMG_1195_zpss6ibpx19.jpg

IMG_1197_zpsysau9jnh.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsz3oic73f.jpg

I just took delivery of a new custom built tank from AGE (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits) out of Garland Texas.
IMG_0112_zpsqlrnbwv1.jpg

IMG_0113_zpspdd8vqfw.jpg

First off it is an awesome tank well built and very nicely put together. Doing business with them was effortless and an absolute pleasure. The tank was shipped to California where I had to pick it up, as too big for a home delivery. I arranged to pick it up on a Friday and had a bunch of guys from the club (SCMAS) come over on the Saturday to help get it into the house.
IMG_0116_zpsapjx9z7i.jpg

A huge thanks to the people that came to help as well as the guys who kindly lent me their professional glass suction cups.
Tank was well crated in a really heavy duty pallet structure. The truck was about two inches higher than the stand and after lifting it off of the pallet onto the truck bed it was really not difficult to get it onto the stand. The tank is really heavy as it is 96”x36”x30”, 450 gallons of ¾” Starfire glass and a 1” PVC base. The steel stand was mounted and zip tied to a few furniture dollies and was taken into the house and set in place with really very little effort.
IMG_0115_zps3jwmuwur.jpg

Now of course the fun begins....plumbing,new pumps,Oceans Motion and so it goes.
I hope I as well as those who are going to follow (or is that wishful thinking) will find this useful
How much was that tank? I'm considering purchasing one myself buuut, I have difficulty justifying not building it myself.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I updated the post.Rock work finally got done added a sand bed,not very deep as my wife does not like a lot of sand,and of course I have to go along with that,did I hear whipped.Of course once I got the tank filled and added salt,there was the inevitable dripping from some of the pipes,I thought I had them all sealed on installation,I guess not,so I went through and resealed them all again,not so easy when all are in place already,managed to crack a few bulkheads that go through the wall,that was fun.
I added some bacteria and a fish fillet and let the cycle begin.I have also added some live rock to the sump.
I am really impressed with the Synergy overflow,it seems to be working like a champ and really quiet,I am equally impressed with the Red Dragon pumps,the noise is undetectable.I have three Sea Swirls plumbed as returns and they supply a nice flow pattern to the top of the tank.Closed loop also appears to be working great,rather difficult to tell as there is only rock in the tank.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous new tank! Sorry you had to deal with Cody, Greg, Phil and the rest of that crew ;)

I ended up getting served after writing the article about your mishap :rolleyes:

Not sure if you'll be at RAP NY, but if not, drinks at MACNA!

-Austin

Austin not sure if you will see this, when you see Phil or Greg at RAP just ask them to point me out.
Looking forward to meeting you.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from Reefapalooza New York. Had a great time got to talk to a lot of vendors and hobbyists,lots of cool new stuff. If you have never been to a RAP show put it on your list.
My tank is still cycling and I had no drama with it while I was gone. Never had to worry about it for the past 2 years or so, now every time I leave the worry starts up. Oh the joys.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin not sure if you will see this, when you see Phil or Greg at RAP just ask them to point me out.
Looking forward to meeting you.
It was so great to finally meet you, Ivan! I won't be working a booth at MACNA; looking forward to hitting the bar and making our rounds on the show floor :D

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ivan, not sure how I missed this thread! What a disaster, but with a very happy ending. Thanks for the referral to AGE. I am picking up my tank tomorrow. Ran into some delivery troubles, which I'm hoping AGE will make good on. I can't wait to see/get my aquarium. Yours looks awesome! Can't wait to see what critters end up in there. Have you used SeaSwirls before? They are something I'm considering for my build. Cheers!

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragit I have never used Sea Swirls,the tank is only cycling now so only has rock and sand,so kind of difficult to tell how they will do. I have talked to other Swirl users and there seems to be only positive feedback.Keep us updated on your new tank, so far I am extremely happy with mine.

OP
OP
IvanW

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a while since I posted an update. Finally got some livestock into the tank. A Sohal Tang,Purple Tang,2 Yellow Tangs, Blonde Naso Tang,Chevron Tang,Purple Gramma (won at club raffle) some Zebra stripe,Nasserius and Trochus snails. Now I need to get my lights,Hydra 52HD's, up and running then start filling with coral,since I am starting from scratch I will try and be a little more selective.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how we missed this thread, but following!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as well... Any new pics?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back