Outside Air for Skimmer

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to run skimmer air intake to the outside.

Used a lawnmower air filter to keep pests/dirt out. Worked out well. Just thought I would share.

IMG_20170219_173056.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My only comment is that it needs to be in an area that keeps it dry. Wet paper filters do not allow air to pass through them.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I do think my condo association will approve that... But what the condo association doesn't know about can't hurt the condo association...... [emoji5]️

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a activated carbon filter as well. Been there, done that. Skimmer will pollute and poisoned your tank if outside air is contaminated.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good picture i found on google and it sparked a few ideas for me this is a very old thread most of the viewers haven't been seen in years. Does anyone else have any pictures and inspirationals they would like to share involving piping outside air to your skimmer and the precautions you took or the methods used. Thanks

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled a hole in the wall behind my tank and ran my tubing through the hole. At first I attached a piece of larger pvc pipe to the tube that I filled with carbon, but later removed it. Ive been running it outside with no extra filter for a few years and I’ve not had an issue so far.

I will say that mine is under a covered porch and there are no very close neighbors so I don’t worry too much about insecticides being sprayed near it.

I don’t have a picture of it but just imagine a piece of vinyl siding with a piece of tubing sticking out an inch or so.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled a hole in the wall behind my tank and ran my tubing through the hole. At first I attached a piece of larger pvc pipe to the tube that I filled with carbon, but later removed it. Ive been running it outside with no extra filter for a few years and I’ve not had an issue so far.

I will say that mine is under a covered porch and there are no very close neighbors so I don’t worry too much about insecticides being sprayed near it.

I don’t have a picture of it but just imagine a piece of vinyl siding with a piece of tubing sticking out an inch or so.
I can see it now! Nice and probably all that is necessary

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the media would last longer, but then you have media cost now for a point or 2 of PH and more equipment maintenance? Is it worth it
Idk but I think I’m going to try it. If it ends up not being worth it I will just convert the canister to another stage for my rodi or a carbon reactor.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back