Ozone help

gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have my TMC ozone (not to sure if you have TMC in the US) hocked up to a controller and in to a tunze 9410. The controller is set at 350 but the orp reading only gets up to 330 then drops again to around 320. I have a tap between my tunze and ozone open about half way to regulate the intake. My tank is about 264gal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have more:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

from the third one:

ORP Changes
When ozone is first added to reef aquaria, ORP (oxidation reduction potential) rises. What exactly this means on a molecular level is complicated and not well understood, but it is the expected result of oxidizing the various redox active chemical species in the water. Some aquarists see a big rise in ORP - large enough that they need to control the ozone generator so that the ORP does not rise too high (>450-500 mV). Others see a relatively small rise, and still have ORP in the 300 mV range even after using the generally recommended amount of ozone. Some even find that it remains in the upper 200 mV range. This variability is important for aquarists to keep in mind, and they should not conclude that there is a problem if the ORP remains fairly "low."

In the absence of ozone, my aquarium seems to have an ORP that ranges in the mid- to upper 200 mV range. While I monitored ORP carefully when initiating ozone to be sure not to overdo the addition, such concern was unfounded. Even when adding ozone at full production (100 mg/h as claimed by Aqua Medic; equivalent to about 0.5 mg/h/gallon of display volume or 0.3 mg/h/gallon in the entire system), the ORP never rose above about 335 mV. Even with newly dried desiccant in the air dryer, a freshly cleaned skimmer and ozone added to any of the devices that I used (Coralife ozone reactor, straight into a skimmer, or my tubing reactor), the ORP was never higher than this. Even when used through the skimmer with no activated carbon treatment of the effluent, the ORP was no higher. Consequently, I did not need to use the ozone on a controller.

Was ozone being added? Clearly, yes. The water's ORP exiting my tubing reactor measured 680 mV. I could also detect an ozone/OPO residual of 0.1 - 0.24 ppm chlorine equivalents (details of such test methods are provided in air flow section of the previous article). So the ozone was having the desired effect on the water in the reactor.

Would the ORP have risen more with additional ozone? Certainly, yes. But using higher amounts of ozone causes more risk of harm from overdose, and it may not further improve the primary reason for using it: water clarity. More ozone might have resulted in more disinfection of the water in the ozone reaction chamber, and possibly a further reduction in dissolved organic levels, but I am not sure that either of those is necessarily beneficial.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again randy. Without the ozone I was around the 200 mark just see that people try and shot for the 350 400

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again randy. Without the ozone I was around the 200 mark just see that people try and shot for the 350 400

In the end, the ORP is unimportant, just the rise. :)

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy where can I see your tank?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't say in your house [emoji2]

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I forgot to ask why you don't use ozone regularly anymore is it because of pods etc? Do you use a uv on your system?

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a late post, but I believe that you will have to hook an air pump up and blow it through the TMC to get ozone to the Tunze 9410. I have both and Rodger at Tunze USA also told me that the Tunze 9410 won't 'suck' the ozone into it. You need a small air flow going from the TMC to the 9410 skimmer.

Allen

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I forgot to ask why you don't use ozone regularly anymore is it because of pods etc? Do you use a uv on your system?

Sorry, I never saw this question.

I stopped ozone out of concern over some HLLE types of issues in a hippo and yellow tang. The yellow tang issue was a fin problem that had been suggested by some to be related to ozone use.

Anyway, I stopped the ozone and switch GAC from Marineland Black Diamond to BRS ROX for the same reason. It is a different yellow tang now, but it has no such issues. Was ozone or the GAC, or both, responsible? No way to know for sure.

I've never used a UV and would not want to. I drive a lot of bacterial growth with vinegar, and I want those bacteria to be skimmed out or consumed by filter feeders, not killed in a UV to spill their nutrients back into the water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back