OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is a bacterial infection. I already treated with furan 2 and I just don't know what else I can do...

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an everything but the kitchen sink approach for bacterial infections? To hit every kind of bacteria at once?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/):
Anti-bacterial/antibiotics: A broad spectrum antibiotic that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases is recommended. Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2, Nitrofuracin Green Powder and Triple Sulfa Powder are all good options to have on hand. Erythromycin & Minocycline can also be used but are becoming more difficult to find. To achieve the widest possible spectrum of treatment when battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combine the following: Kanaplex, Furan-2, and metronidazole (exs. Seachem MetroPlex, Metro-MS).​

Use both (Kanaplex & Furan-2) at once, but I will refer to Humblefish if he has anything else to offer on this.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/):
Anti-bacterial/antibiotics: A broad spectrum antibiotic that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases is recommended. Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2, Nitrofuracin Green Powder and Triple Sulfa Powder are all good options to have on hand. Erythromycin & Minocycline can also be used but are becoming more difficult to find. To achieve the widest possible spectrum of treatment when battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combine the following: Kanaplex, Furan-2, and metronidazole (exs. Seachem MetroPlex, Metro-MS).​

Use both (Kanaplex & Furan-2) at once, but I will refer to Humblefish if he has anything else to offer on this.
Treat for at least 10 days, I will add.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By 10 days do you mean to keep adding meds for 10 days or just leave it in the water for 10 days?

image.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can also add Metroplex to this to treat for certain anaerobic bacterial diseases.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also add Metroplex to this to treat for certain anaerobic bacterial diseases.
What does it mean when people say treat for 10 days? Keep adding meds or just leave them in the tank?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the instructions on the package, regarding dosages and water changes. A lot of antibiotics require dosing every other day, or even every day, as they lose their effectiveness over time. In the case of marine fish, the package may say that a total treatment is five days (as an example), but antibiotics tend to work slowly and not particularly efficiently in marines; so ten days of treatment, rather than five (or whatever number the package lists).

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I know when everything is cured?

You should see improvement in the infected area by 10 days. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish so longer than 10 days may be needed - it often is. I'll repeat the others since I agree..... Follow the directions on each package for how often to dose that med. Do all three (kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex) at the same time for the widest spectrum. You'll do this for a minimum of ten calendar days or longer if needed. You'll know it's cured when it goes away completely and looks normal again. Be sure to use a small power head or air stone to increase O2 while using these meds.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the directions for the meds in regards to how often to dose. Just extend the treatment so that the water is fully medicated for the full 10 days.
This :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back