Pain in my Wrasse!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see improvement in the infected area by 10 days. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish so longer than 10 days may be needed - it often is. I'll repeat the others since I agree..... Follow the directions on each package for how often to dose that med. Do all three (kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex) at the same time for the widest spectrum. You'll do this for a minimum of ten calendar days or longer if needed. You'll know it's cured when it goes away completely and looks normal again. Be sure to use a small power head or air stone to increase O2 while using these meds.

Yes, my mistake you'll see results in 10 days they may require more than. It was early!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you by any chance using copper and Seachem Prime together? Or any other water conditioner when you use copper/Cupramine?

I don't know if you you're aware, and forgive me if this is common knowledge, but Prime and Cupramine form a lethal mix. It turns the copper into a super toxic form.

I have many Wrasses... Red Coris, Formosa, Melanarus, and a mostly blind Harlequin Tuskfish. The only one I have had a problem with is the Tusk going blind as a juvenile.

Whatever the problem is, it seems to affect the fish rapidly. Which makes me think it's either a chemical reaction in the tank (maybe some leftover meds mixing with new meds), or possibly the capturing techniques used (ie cyanide).

What led you to the conclusion it was a swim bladder infection in the first place?

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see improvement in the infected area by 10 days. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish so longer than 10 days may be needed - it often is. I'll repeat the others since I agree..... Follow the directions on each package for how often to dose that med. Do all three (kanaplex, furan2 and metroplex) at the same time for the widest spectrum. You'll do this for a minimum of ten calendar days or longer if needed. You'll know it's cured when it goes away completely and looks normal again. Be sure to use a small power head or air stone to increase O2 while using these meds.
@Humblefish @melypr1985
I've been treating with the three suggested medications for about a week now. Is it normal that the fins on some fish have little sections missing? This is the first I have noticed this since this whole thing started.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also seems weird that furan 2 is for fin rot, and yet, I didn't see it until I started with this medication.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jim C Can you posted an updated photo showing the missing sections of fin?
The lights went out but I will tomorrow. On the little clown I thought it was aggression from the female, but the female is missing a tiny section as well. It just looks like nips.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights went out but I will tomorrow. On the little clown I thought it was aggression from the female, but the female is missing a tiny section as well. It just looks like nips.

I'd like to see a new picture as well, but the clowns could be nipping at each other. That's not abnormal between clowns, though a pair rarely does actual damage to their partner.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last remaining wrasse just died. Its fins were completely missing. I still have 2 clowns, regal tang, yellow tang, and royal gramma. I have treated with furan 2 twice, metro, and kana. I dont know what to do, maybe I should throw in the towel.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to recap..
So most coral was wiped out months ago, but fish looked fine. Fast forward two weeks, chromis died and yellow tang had popeye. Have been quarantining everything since then. At first treated with furan 2 and cupramine. Two wrasses then died within the month. It looked like there was still an infection present. So I treated again with furan 2, kana, and metro. My last wrasse died tonight, fins look completely torn. Clownfish and yellow tang have little parts of fin missing, but nothing major. Only the wrasses have died, but the other fish aren't acting 100% either. I dont know what else I can do.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to recap..
So most coral was wiped out months ago, but fish looked fine. Fast forward two weeks, chromis died and yellow tang had popeye. Have been quarantining everything since then. At first treated with furan 2 and cupramine. Two wrasses then died within the month. It looked like there was still an infection present. So I treated again with furan 2, kana, and metro. My last wrasse died tonight, fins look completely torn. Clownfish and yellow tang have little parts of fin missing, but nothing major. Only the wrasses have died, but the other fish aren't acting 100% either. I dont know what else I can do.

@Humblefish @melypr1985 I'm pretty stumped here

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! It makes me want to give up.
:( I know the feeling, believe me. For me it was a hidden case of velvet that didn't show spots or other obvious symptoms otherwise, other than discoloration, heavy breathing, and quick death.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( I know the feeling, believe me. For me it was a hidden case of velvet that didn't show spots or other obvious symptoms otherwise, other than discoloration, heavy breathing, and quick death.
The worst part is that I broke everything down and started over. The new tank is cycling, and it would be so much easier to just get rid of these diseased fish and start new. But I've had these fish for 3 years, and would rather have no tank than a tank without them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I treated again with furan 2, kana, and metro. My last wrasse died tonight, fins look completely torn. Clownfish and yellow tang have little parts of fin missing, but nothing major. Only the wrasses have died, but the other fish aren't acting 100% either. I dont know what else I can do.

Hi! Don't give up sweetie. This can happen. It sounds like you have a bacterial infection running lose in your QT. My question is did you run all three antibiotics at the same time for 10 full days in a row? Not just a few days at a time for each?

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Don't give up sweetie. This can happen. It sounds like you have a bacterial infection running lose in your QT. My question is did you run all three antibiotics at the same time for 10 full days in a row? Not just a few days at a time for each?
Thank you :)

The whole ten days thing is still kind of confusing to me. I started dosing all three Thursday night, and following the directions on each box, I haven't added any more medicaition since Sunday.

I am out of furan 2, but still have metro and kana. Should I keep adding these?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :)

The whole ten days thing is still kind of confusing to me. I started dosing all three Thursday night, and following the directions on each box, I haven't added any more medicaition since Sunday.

I am out of furan 2, but still have metro and kana. Should I keep adding these?

Yes. You follow the dosing directions on each box, but just continue to dose them for a minimum of ten days or longer if needed.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You follow the dosing directions on each box, but just continue to dose them for a minimum of ten days or longer if needed.
Then I must be fighting a bacteria that is causing fin rot even after two rounds of furan, in addition to metro and kana. Is this normal?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I must be fighting a bacteria that is causing fin rot even after two rounds of furan, in addition to metro and kana. Is this normal?

Yes. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish which is why the extended period of treatment is needed. It's similar to when the doctor tells you to finish your antibiotics even if you start feeling better before they are done.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back