palythoa bacterial infection-need input

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did boomer go Todd? Is he out of the hobby or did his profession cause some damage or is he just off the forums?
Ya I am not sure what happened. I lost contact with him many years go.
He was a great leader when I started my journeys into aquaria pests and I value him dearly.
(sorry OT)

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? Boyds chemiclean
I have only used the liquid as it is easier to measure per drop rather than per Mg
So what is it.. 1 scoop for 10 gallons so it would be 1/2 scoop to 250ml if I am thinking right this morning
how long of a dip would you recommend?

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the picture for those interested.
The skimmer came today as well so that's the next plan of action.
As you can see the two on the right are see through. The middle is the "good" one and the left is closed but not terrible. Any advice different than chemiclean?
IMG_4174.JPG

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I got the new skimmer on and the polyps are dipped. I also switched out the crate so I can clean it.
The polyps are out of the frag tank and into the established tank.
Note: before dip they didn't smell bad.
IMG_4175.JPG

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine do that in response to a peroxide dip. Albeit they look clear but heavily retracted.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine do that in response to a peroxide dip. Albeit they look clear but heavily retracted.
I've experimented with peroxide on different coral, they closed tightly but never looked like this.
Peroxide has never been in the frag tank system.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the "after" the clear part of the skin is sloughing off. You can tell at the top of the head

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oy. couple of these are def lunch. the others should prob come back. But honestly Ive never seen a zoa melt quite like that.

Dont know id Ive asked but do you know how much light you have in the frag tank?

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the frag tank the lps end has ~80- 100 par
The zoa and paly side has probably 150. That's a total guess though, I haven't measured that fixture. I run it at 14k on zoa side with 90% intensity.
I've grown that specific frag under them in a smaller tank (same depth) so I know it's not under lighting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the frag tank the lps end has ~80- 100 par
The zoa and paly side has probably 150. That's a total guess though, I haven't measured that fixture. I run it at 14k on zoa side with 90% intensity.
I've grown that specific frag under them in a smaller tank (same depth) so I know it's not under lighting.
no if your at 150 on zoas your def in the ball park. and the could take more but not needed prob..
its just weird with that tank.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any that are stretching, they're all open at one point of another. It's just a few heads here or there that have problems. It blows my mind because these were the hardy ones!
This isn't the first issue with polyps in this tank. I'm legit thinking that it's just too new of a tank. That's the only thing that's not perfect. I have a good bit of algae growing but I'm managing that and have a new skimmer to boot.
It's just frustrating. I just wish I knew what it was

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the exact same problem with a small colony of salted agaves. They look like they want to open, but just don't. After 3 weeks of not opening, I fragged them into 4 separate frags of 3-6 polyps and dipped in lugols and have them in 4 different locations. I have been carefully brushing them off with a soft artist brush when they get coated with the "brown dust". They are the only ones I am having an issue with in my growout tank. ( around 30 different zoas/palys and 50 separate frags and colonies) I have treated my tank in the past with chemiclean when some zoas were not looking right and it did help. Just yesterday I did a chemiclean dip with salted agaves, so we will see how it goes. I really think whatever is going on here is a bacterial infection and not the typical "melting" that some experience. Keep us informed......helpful thread

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the exact same problem with a small colony of salted agaves. They look like they want to open, but just don't. After 3 weeks of not opening, I fragged them into 4 separate frags of 3-6 polyps and dipped in lugols and have them in 4 different locations. I have been carefully brushing them off with a soft artist brush when they get coated with the "brown dust". They are the only ones I am having an issue with in my growout tank. ( around 30 different zoas/palys and 50 separate frags and colonies) I have treated my tank in the past with chemiclean when some zoas were not looking right and it did help. Just yesterday I did a chemiclean dip with salted agaves, so we will see how it goes. I really think whatever is going on here is a bacterial infection and not the typical "melting" that some experience. Keep us informed......helpful thread

Yea that sounds exactly what's going on here! That dust!!

the only prob im having with the bacterial infection thing is, I am comparatively, ruthless and hard on my zoas. I (as a learning thing) rip polyps of frags and rocks and glue the all over the tank. If I find a polyp floating in the water or stuck on the urchin, I glue to too. I toss them from tank to tank with no acclimation. my rastas didn't look good and not opening so I ripped the plug off, leaving half the colony on the rock, shook the frag and blew it off in the powerhead and tossed it on the sand bed 8in below where it was, and they are all fine, and I have 2 small colonies.

So, 2 thoughts come to mind.
there is either a slightly serious "thing" happening in the tanks, AHiggins, You may want to tag Tahoe61 in your tank thread, she has noted some issues with eggcrate in tanks and probably has some insights.

Or they're too clean and the repeated dipping scrubbing and chemical stripping of of the flesh is taking its toll. Also some zoas do want more light. Stretching or not, Ive had zoas brown on me and not stretch. Some zoas are from tidepools others from deeper water.
Another observation is many believe zoas are open all the time, in the ocean thats kind of impossible, and as waves push and pull pretty hard, sofunk and detritus is naturally washed off, and whatever slug bug nudi crab or shrimp also helps to clean the little poop eating animals we love.

Hopefully in the established DT it settles in and does better. Id wager it will.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only prob im having with the bacterial infection thing is, I am comparatively, ruthless and hard on my zoas. I (as a learning thing) rip polyps of frags and rocks and glue the all over the tank. If I find a polyp floating in the water or stuck on the urchin, I glue to too. I toss them from tank to tank with no acclimation. my rastas didn't look good and not opening so I ripped the plug off, leaving half the colony on the rock, shook the frag and blew it off in the powerhead and tossed it on the sand bed 8in below where it was, and they are all fine, and I have 2 small colonies.

So, 2 thoughts come to mind.
there is either a slightly serious "thing" happening in the tanks, AHiggins, You may want to tag Tahoe61 in your tank thread, she has noted some issues with eggcrate in tanks and probably has some insights.

Or they're too clean and the repeated dipping scrubbing and chemical stripping of of the flesh is taking its toll. Also some zoas do want more light. Stretching or not, Ive had zoas brown on me and not stretch. Some zoas are from tidepools others from deeper water.
Another observation is many believe zoas are open all the time, in the ocean thats kind of impossible, and as waves push and pull pretty hard, sofunk and detritus is naturally washed off, and whatever slug bug nudi crab or shrimp also helps to clean the little poop eating animals we love.

Hopefully in the established DT it settles in and does better. Id wager it will.

When you say issues with egg crate in tanks what exactly do you mean? I just installed a homemade frag rack made out of egg crate and my mind is blown. I have it full of zoa frags and then I have another frag rack made out of acrylic full of zoas and the egg crate is covered in algae along with the zoas. The frag rack made out of acrylic is completely fine and free of algae. I even have a power head pointed at the egg crate rack and algae still grows everywhere on it. It drives me nuts. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the flow of water isn't that good in between each of the spaces on the egg crate..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say issues with egg crate in tanks what exactly do you mean? I just installed a homemade frag rack made out of egg crate and my mind is blown. I have it full of zoa frags and then I have another frag rack made out of acrylic full of zoas and the egg crate is covered in algae along with the zoas. The frag rack made out of acrylic is completely fine and free of algae. I even have a power head pointed at the egg crate rack and algae still grows everywhere on it. It drives me nuts. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the flow of water isn't that good in between each of the spaces on the egg crate..
its been noted that some crate get a lot of funk, usually brown stuff. and usually Id'ed as a dino.. but not every body gets it. so is it the crate? still observing. Ive never had it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back