Par meter help

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at two Par Meters the Apogee SQ-520 and the BioTek Marine BTM3000 that seems to be made by Apogee. The SQ-520 suppose to be full spectrum and have a wider range and is $345. The BTM3000 is around $190. Both are USB and connect to a computer.

Is the SQ-520 with full spectrum really worth the price difference?

Thanks for the help
Randy

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main sales pitch is the range 389-692nm for the SQ-520 verses 410-655nm for the BTM3000

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your use-case give you the answer?

Here are some ideas for questions that might help you answer.

(I'm not asking for these answers, I'm only asking rhetorically in case these help you see which meter makes the most sense.)

Are you already measuring your lights with a lux meter? If not, I'd start there and use that to see what you're actual limits are.

If you're already using a lux meter, then what do you get out of that? Could you get more out of that? If you do DIY it can actually be turned into a PAR meter.

If you're currently using another PAR meter....what is the advantage to you of measuring in PAR vs just using a lux meter with or without a PAR conversion factor?

And I mean what is the advantage to you and your use case, not just the difference between lux and PAR.

Do you think there would be even more benefit to you in measuring in PAR 10% more accurately than a 'regular' PAR meter?

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips and it has me thinking. I know you are not looking for answers, but I don't see that much of a benefit with 10 percent. Going to check out the diy

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 520 is designed with the aquarium in mind it has and adjustment curve built in to give more actuate readings under water with blue light shift.
That is the one you want for aquarium use.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. I tried to get a couple of old laptops to work, but finally realized it really wouldn't work out. Ended up getting an apogee MQ-510 that comes with a meter. After weighing everything out I think I made the best decision. Read a review from Dana Riddle on the 500 one and it really seems impressive

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back