parameters ok for corals?

saixiong08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my test today with red sea test. Will my tank be good for soft and lps? Started using 2 part dosing.
Calcium-385
Alk-9.8
Mg-1240

What would happen if calcium, alk, and mg are higher than recommended?Just a thought...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium and alk seem disproportionate or un balanced. Maybe test error, or are you dosing unevenly or using a Ph buffer. Mag is a tad low.
But none of that will really effect softies that much, maybe the alk.

But if your asking about ready for corals, How old is the tank?No3 Po4? all ok? detectable numbers? Ph and salinity is stable?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then its probably fine. Again the Mag is a bit low, the alk seems high compared to Calcium.

Dannyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by my LFS and had my water tested for the first time in about a year. I mainly ran rock and fish only with an anemone.
my current parameters are :

Nitrite 0
nitrate 5.0
ammonia 0
ph 8.0
phosp 0
alk 9
calcium 320
sal 1.022

i have this running in a 55 gal long with a 15 gallon sump. I want to max the change to a red sea max 34 gallon

i want to have a soft and lPS tank with a few fish. Any thought on the parameters? from what I read i have seen what the "ideal" parameters are. are there any suggestions? i was think of using a small amount of kalkwassrer to help bring up my ph (8.2-8.3) ,alk (9-12),and calcium to their respective ideal levels. I anticipate that calcium will still be lower then ideal by the time the other 2 reach their optimum levels. then I would step in with a calcium additive followed by 2 part dosing to keep it stable.

please any feed back will be great

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by my LFS and had my water tested for the first time in about a year. I mainly ran rock and fish only with an anemone.
my current parameters are :

Nitrite 0
nitrate 5.0
ammonia 0
ph 8.0
phosp 0
alk 9
calcium 320
sal 1.022

i have this running in a 55 gal long with a 15 gallon sump. I want to max the change to a red sea max 34 gallon

i want to have a soft and lPS tank with a few fish. Any thought on the parameters? from what I read i have seen what the "ideal" parameters are. are there any suggestions? i was think of using a small amount of kalkwassrer to help bring up my ph (8.2-8.3) ,alk (9-12),and calcium to their respective ideal levels. I anticipate that calcium will still be lower then ideal by the time the other 2 reach their optimum levels. then I would step in with a calcium additive followed by 2 part dosing to keep it stable.

please any feed back will be great
You'll need to raise your salinity to 1.026 to get accurate results on your testing. Salinity does change the readings. Besides that your right on track. The nitrates are a bit high and Po4 a bit low, but besides that your ok I think,
And yes definitely keep the dosing of cal/alk even by using either Kalk OR two part dosing. A tank with fewer stony corals will use less calcium and alkalinity.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Dannyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for lps and soft corals would you suggest just using small amounts of kalk during my top off of rodi water should keep everything in order or will i need to introduce 2 part on a daily basis regardless.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you suggest just using small amounts of kalk during my top off of rodi water
This and somewhat regular water changes will likely work. But its best to test and see how much you'll need to suppliment. I had to go with 2 part in the doser as my evaporation is inconsistent. But it do still have a very small amount of Kalk in my ato to help ph in my sumpless tank. (i have 2, one with sump)
Test cal and alk after a WC then test again the next week.

Back