Parasite

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all posted a while back about my pbt. Been in the tank for about a year.. pretty sure it is not ich.. I can't get him out to do I dip.. so I have been treating it with prazzi.. doesn't seem to be working.. is this a parasite.. maybe anchor worms.. it totally looks like he has hair.. my other a couple of my other fish are gettting it.. what else can I try.. I have no corals or inverts.. thanks
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3208.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Dr Fish Humblefish Article
Every day I help at least one person with a fish disease problem, and many times that person doesn’t have any medication(s) on hand to begin treatment. Delaying treatment can literally mean the difference between life & death for a fish. So with that in mind, I’ve come up with a list of useful medications to keep on hand. Be aware not all LFS keep these medications in stock. Therefore it would be wise to keep at least some of these medications in your “fish medicine cabinet.”

Anti-parasitic:
  • Chloroquine phosphate (treats Ich, Velvet, Brooklynella & Uronema) - Prescription required from a vet, which can then be filled at a local pharmacy. If you buy it online, on ebay, from China, etc. - Who knows what you’re really getting?
  • Copper (treats Ich & Velvet) - The following brands are available, with therapeutic ranges listed and compatible test kits:
    1. Cupramine (0.35 - 0.5 ppm) - Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
    2. Coppersafe (1.5 - 2.0 ppm) - API copper test kit
    3. Copper Power (2.5 ppm) - API copper test kit
  • Acriflavine (treats Velvet, Brooklynella & Uronema) - Use in a bath solution to provide temporary relief of velvet. Can also be used as a bath or QT treatment for brook & uronema. Acriflavine-MS & Ruby Reef Rally both contains acriflavine.
  • Formalin (treats Velvet, Brooklynella & Uronema - alternative treatment for Flukes & Black Ich) - Use in a bath solution to provide temporary relief of velvet. Can also be used as a bath or QT treatment for brook, uronema, flukes & black ich. Formalin is found in the following products: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Last edited:

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a qt set up? I dont know what it is, but you will most likley have to remove the fish from the tank to treat, if that means taking down all the rock work, thats what needs to be done.

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a qt.. and that can be done. But need to figure out what it is before u can treat it.. thx all

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That infestation is severe....I agree you have to get him and the rest of the fish out to treat....at minimum, I would suggest a freshwater dip and a formalin dip for starters...hopefully humblefish and meridith have some better ideas of what it might be.

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns, anthias, pbt, hawk fish, 2 cardinals, 1 baby purple tang..small qt.. 20 gallons

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's really something...

I am stumped!

I would do a FW dip until humble and mel chime in.

@Lionfish Lair any idea!?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so Prazi did nothing. That helps. I'm wondering if he's breathing heavy at all? I"m sure we asked all this before but I don't remember what was said and things change. So, heavy breathing, flashing, scratching, swimming into the flow, hiding a lot?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fast but not too bad..and yes to all that. Could it be environmental??

No. If he's flashing, scratching and swimming into the flow (like a powerhead or the return) then I'm going with velvet.

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was doing the flow thing a little.. but can say it does not seem to be velvet from what I have read.. it looks like fine hairs on the body.. no mistaken hair like structures.. could it be losing it mucus on the body??

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was doing the flow thing a little.. but can say it is velvet from what I have read.. it looks like fine hairs on the body.. no mistaken hair like structures.. could it be losing it mucus on the body??

It doesn't have much mucus to lose. They have a very very thin slime coat which is why they are so much more susceptible to these things than other fish are. I'm not sure what it is, but my next step would be copper or CP treatment.

OP
OP
K

Kidderic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx .. was hoping to get a better grasp of what I'm dealing with. Hate to throw a dart at it.. appreciate it

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back